New 46 gal and gravel selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newtofish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How do i choose the best gravel for my new aquarium? I am moving water and fish (parrot and african cichlid) from smaller tank but do not want to reuse old gravel. It's confusing to decide between sand, small or large gravel and what brand. I see Caribsea markets substrate that has necessary bacteria, but aren't i rinsing the gravel before it goes in the tank? So there is the Este's brand too and it says nothing about having good bacteria. SO do i need it with or without bacteria? How do i determine what size pebbles are most comforting to my fish? OMG

Well, with the parrot cichlid, I know that you should get gravel preferrably larger than it's mouth. They tend to move around rocks and chew on them. If it got lodged, then you have a problem.

If you have an African cichlid, there is probably some specific gravel to acquire the preferred pH.

What kind of African cichlid is it?

Other than that, it's your opinion of what looks best.

Thanks for the advice. It is a good to know about them picking up the gravel. The sand is pretty, i agree
I have the African Cichlid that is yellow with a black fin on top. It is growing so i would say it is 3 inches long. The to fish seem to get long well.

Back
Top Bottom