New 55 gal tank fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Media came in yesterday , u placed it in the tank , i tested before placing it in there am readings came at ammonia 2ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 0ppm

I tested the water yesterday and it read 2 ppm , nitrite 0ppm , nitrate 0pmm, I tested today and ammonia has dropped to 1 ppm , with the others at 0ppm, seems like the media is helping, should I redose with ammonia to 4 pmm or back to 2 ppm ?

Keep at 2 until its converting this to zero in 24hrs. Then bump it up by .5 each night until your back to 4.

Tested water today it has dropped to 1 ppm from 2 ppm in ammonia, which their is progress cause it only took 2 days instead of a week , there is still 0 nitrates and nitrites, I just re dose it back to 2 ppm

I did a water test today and ammonia shows .25 ppm with nitrite showing 0 ppm, and nitrate at close to 40 ppm , I have not seen any signs of nitrites at all yet, is this normal?

I did a water test today and ammonia shows .25 ppm with nitrite showing 0 ppm, and nitrate at close to 40 ppm , I have not seen any signs of nitrites at all yet, is this normal?

Perfectly fine because your nitrates are steadily increasing. Just make sure your ph is staying stable. :)

Tested the Ph level and it's at 7.6

Ok test results for today was ammonia 0ppm I had it at about close to 4 ppm last night after re dosing it , nitrite today is almost at .25 ppm, and nitrates is at between 40 and 80 ppm kinda hard to tell the difference between those two , I also tested Ph and it was a lot darker than the 7.6 on the charts , in other words a darker blue could it be that my Ph level is going up?

Looks great! :) Let's just keep an eye on the ph for the moment. Have you checked with the high range test as well? Drops are bigger concern than jumps but you still need to keep your bb happy so let's see how things look tomorrow.

Yeah I tested with high Ph and it read at 8.2

What does your tap read after it has gassed off vs straight from the tap? Just check your tank with high range test tomorrow and let us know how this looks. :)

Ok I'll check the tap water to see what it reads after all gasses are gone,

Results today are
.25 ppm- ammonia
.25 ppm - nitrite
80 ppm - nitrate

Ph - 8.2

No I will be making this a African cichlid tank

Results today

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - .50ppm
Nitrate - 80ppm

Ph - 8.2

At what point do I do a water change to lower the nitrates?

Back
Top Bottom