New 55 Gallon tank, need some advice on lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jestes

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I have another newbie question about planted tanks.... Hopefully I won't come across as the village idiot... :D

I had to take advantage of some after Christmas sales, so I jumped on a 55 gallon set with lights, hood, filter, heater, ect. Everything looks good, but I'm a little unsure about the lights. I got it for about what the tank is worth, so I figure even if I have to replace the lights, I'm still doing well. They're the standard T8 bulbs that come with a lot of sets, so they're pretty low wattage. They're F15T8/18's, so I figure I've got just over .5wpg.

Now here's my question: Is there a replacement bulb that will fit these fixtures that will put me closer to the 2wpg range I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance!

idk anythingabout those light i use a 10 dollar shop light on my 90 gal. and it works great

no there isnt a replacement bulb. you're better off buying a different set of lights like mfdrookie said

Well, I did it. I've got a 2X54 T5HO set on the way. I got an email today saying the order has been shipped. :) The tank is setup on a solid oak dresser with water/gravel in it right now. I added some fish food to help get the cycle started, as well as a bacterial culture.

I'm assuming I wont be able to use my old two piece hood that came with the tank, but that's fine. I'll cut some plexiglass to fit. I figure I can use one of the hoods on a 10 gallon quarantine tank or something.

Thanks for all of the help! I'm sure I'll need some more before this thing actually gets fish. :)

let us know how you like them. once they come in start adding plants that will help your tank cycle. are you going to do fishless cycle?

Yup, I've already started on a fishless cycle. I can't find any good (pure) sources of ammonia, so I've been adding a little fish food. I'm still looking for straight ammonia though. All the stuff I've found so far has soap in it.....

I did buy glass tops for the tank, but they're about 1/4 of an inch too long.... They're supposed to fit a 55, and all of the other glass top measurements I've found online are the same as the ones I've got. I guess I'm going to have to try and cut them.

do you happen to have a ace hardware store? pure ammonia is common industrial cleaning supply.

what fish are you stocking? i had glass tops on my tanks, until i noticed they were dropping the ph because they werent allowing good oxygen exchange... if youre going planted, that may work to your advantage though (not sure on that)

I also have a 2x54 watt T5HO on my 55. I like it a lot so far, this is the third lighting setup I've had on the tank and it is definitely the cheapest to operate and also much cooler than the compact fluorescents I had before. If you get into live plants you'll be able to grow a wide range of plants, although very light demanding plants and carpet plants probably won't work. You'll definitely need some ferts and possibly CO2 as well....the CO2 probably isn't necessary but it does help.

As far as a lid goes, FWIW I don't use them. I do have a canopy that goes over the lights, but it's open in the back and in 4 years I haven't had a carpet surfer yet. Does depend on your stocking list, though.

Thanks mgamer! I'll check into the ACE store. I think there's one not too far from here.

I thought about not running a lid, but I may keep some Platy's at some point. They don't quite fit my biotype, but Central America is close enough.

That's good to hear some other people run a light setup like what I ordered. Hopefully I won't outgrow too quickly. :)

make sure that its the ace hardware brand. other brands arent always pure ammonia from what i understand.

i think that having a lid is overrated. if you grow your tank densly or even if you have floating plants it discourages jumpers. plus i never knew of platies to be jumpers. they always did fine in my open tanks

Back
Top Bottom