New 55g Malawi Tank need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markiezzi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I am thinking of starting another 55g cichlid tank. This one being a Malawi. Here is my stocking list please tell me if you think this will work or not. I added the fish in AqAdvisor website and they say all species of malawi should be kept with 5 or more of each species I have not found any other resources stating that.

filtration is 2 Penquin 350 filters. AqAdvisor says that I am about 94% stocked.

2 - Electric Blue Johanni
2 - Cobalt Blue Zebra
2 - Electric Yellow Labs
1 - Acei
3 - Kenyi

Looking forward to your suggestions or ideas.

Thanks
Mark

Skip the Kenyi they are hyper aggressive and aren't suited for beginners. Ideally you want a 1:3 or 1:4 male to female ratio unless you are shooting for a all male tank.

In my experience colbolt blue zebras are deadly!!! I have seen them on more than one occasion in both my own and friends tanks, actively seeking and killing other cichlids in the tank. In my friend tank many years ago the zebra killed all his cichlids one by one till only the colbolt was alive. He closed down his tank and gave up. years later the same bloke set-up and re-stocked again getting a colbolt zebra. And the same think happened.

Recently my wife adopted some from someone closing down their tank and she added them to our display tank. When I got home and saw what she had I told her the same story. In our tank we have both crabro and kenyi which are both aggressive, we are very careful (usually) and and have experience, so our tank is stocked nicely and is relatively calm. However three days after we put in a colbolt blue our male kenyi is found mutilated in the morning, not a pretty sight!!!!

The colbolt is still in their and things have calmed down, I did warm my wife this could happen, and the colbolt is bring closely watched. One false move and he's going!!!!!!!!

Be warned!!!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom