"New" 55g Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It also appears my crinnum is putting out tons of roots (or maybe it is the lotus behind it???)

Attachments

• image-3700004959.jpg
    image-3700004959.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 56
Some close ups of the newest plants:

Attachments

• image-2777577174.jpg
    image-2777577174.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 54
  • image-4199492348.jpg
    image-4199492348.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 55
  • image-3409008294.jpg
    image-3409008294.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 52
  • image-625807733.jpg
    image-625807733.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 51
  • image-1312066918.jpg
    image-1312066918.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 50
  • image-3364182967.jpg
    image-3364182967.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 51
Thanks! I'm hoping some of the less common plants really take off.

Only "fatality" was the Glosso, which just steadily disappeared leaf at a time. I'm still wondering if a pleco did it...

Batt4Christ said:
Thanks! I'm hoping some of the less common plants really take off.

Only "fatality" was the Glosso, which just steadily disappeared leaf at a time. I'm still wondering if a pleco did it...

I have a bristlenose pleco with a ton of glosso in my tank and he doesn't touch it. A different kind might eat it. Sad thing is the guy I ordered glosso from 2 months ago sent it with BBA and because I rescaped everything right after getting it the BBA really took off. ugh. I think I'm turning the tide on it though. Started with a 2"x3" square of glosso and now it's carpeted the whole tank. just has BBA on lots of it. Time for a Siamese algae eater. -_-

I have both a full-grown albino Bristlenose and a mostly-grown rubberlip...

As far as an SAE - don't count on it doing much good. When they are young/small, they will nibble on it a bit, but very quickly develop a preference for regular fish food. Doesn't take long and they completely ignore all forms of algae.

What I have found seems to have the most impact on BBA is reducing light a bit and getting the Nitrate levels down to under 30ppm.

I have a bristlenose pleco with a ton of glosso in my tank and he doesn't touch it. A different kind might eat it. Sad thing is the guy I ordered glosso from 2 months ago sent it with BBA and because I rescaped everything right after getting it the BBA really took off. ugh. I think I'm turning the tide on it though. Started with a 2"x3" square of glosso and now it's carpeted the whole tank. just has BBA on lots of it. Time for a Siamese algae eater. -_-

Batt4Christ said:
I have both a full-grown albino Bristlenose and a mostly-grown rubberlip...

As far as an SAE - don't count on it doing much good. When they are young/small, they will nibble on it a bit, but very quickly develop a preference for regular fish food. Doesn't take long and they completely ignore all forms of algae.

What I have found seems to have the most impact on BBA is reducing light a bit and getting the Nitrate levels down to under 30ppm.

You're right of course. I mostly like SAE's as a fish. If I find a healthy one I'll still give him a shot. If he eats BBA it'll be great and if not that'll be okay, too.

I struggled forever to get my nitrates above zero before I moved on to dry ferts and upped my fish load. Now they stay around 8ppm as long as I dose every day. I just have to much light for an algae outbreak to be managed easily. I'm already starting to turn the tide on it with good tank management. Still got a long way to go, though. >_<

CorallineAlgae said:
You're right of course. I mostly like SAE's as a fish. If I find a healthy one I'll still give him a shot. If he eats BBA it'll be great and if not that'll be okay, too.

I struggled forever to get my nitrates above zero before I moved on to dry ferts and upped my fish load. Now they stay around 8ppm as long as I dose every day. I just have to much light for an algae outbreak to be managed easily. I'm already starting to turn the tide on it with good tank management. Still got a long way to go, though. >_<

I have one of the pair of SAE we bought with the intent of controlling algae. We finally adopted one out of them. The other was just impossible to catch short of destroying the tank!

"he" is now in the 55g above and worthless other than slightly entertaining! He is a bully, most predominantly against the Corys. It just sits around and gets fatter. I will try to get a picture of it and post. I have actually tried to catch him to adopt him out too... No luck.

Back
Top Bottom