New 55g Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MCluett

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just go my new tank which is a 55g (48"x13"x30"). I currently have a 30g but i am now going to move my fish over to the 55g and give the 30g to my girlfriend. I currently have a false perc and a royal gramma in my tank but this new bigger tank opens up some more options for me. I am really leaning towards a Copperband as my next fish because i think they look amazing and they are supposed to aptasias, which my peppermint seem to want nothing to do with. Will the copperband do alright in my 55g? Also does anyone have any other suggestions for stocking, i am open to all suggestion.

Also i have 1 hydor koriala one in my tank right now what size powerhead should i pick up in addition to that one to ensure a good flow within my tank. any other equipment suggestions when making the move to a bigger tank?

And finally, when i switch everything over what is the procedure for cycling? i will be using the same LR that is in my tank now and the same filter i have on my tank but i will be getting all new substrate ( a 2" sand bed), will i have to allow my tank to cycle again or should i be alright just switching the tanks over?

thank you in advance for your suggestions and for even reading my long winded post.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Copperband Butterflyfish

If you move the already cured LR over it will carry the beneficial bacteria over to the new tank. The only problem is it wont be enough. You need about 1.5-2 lbs per gallon to be able to house the necessary nitrifying bacteria. You could get some more and cure it in the new tank. The cycle will be short because of the already 30 lbs of cured rock that will be in there. HTH

oh yeah i know that i am not ready for the move quite yet i still need to sort out the sand and the lighting. plus i already have 50lbs of LR in my 30g so i only need a little bit more rock and i may just pick up some base rock to make up the difference. you any have fish or invert suggestions i can look into?

Back
Top Bottom