New 60g cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bectan01

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am in the process of planning my new 60g cube - at the moment I have the tank, custom stand and sump (55g) and everything really except for the return pump. My question, or advice I am seeking is - the tank stand is set up to view on 3 sides, with the overflow in the centre of the back wall. I have painted the backs of all my saltwater tanks blue, which I've always been happy with. I'd like to cover the overflow too and wondered if anyone has ever used a mirrored glass or plastic for the back of their tanks? Can I silicone that sort of thing in place? What peoples opinions/criticisms of a mirror on the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm slightly confused. You want a mirrored back rather than painting? The overflow shouldn't impede anything, even painting, unless you are meaning covering the overflow itself?

Yeah, I wondered if there is a reason I've never seen a mirror on the back of the tank - it would make it appear larger? I would attach to the outside of the tank. The overflow is glass and you can see all the pipes so I wanted to cover that too. Does that make more sense?

I think I'd rather not see myself looking in to the tank. :) If the overflow is colored, the mirrored parts would just be a few inches to each side, right?

I was thinking mirror the overflow as well. Here is a pic to show you what I mean... ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407366539.971225.jpg

I wouldn't mirror the overflow. Water can do some funky things to mirrors and wouldn't want anything from a mirror to get into my water column.

Thank you, this is what I wanted to hear. Do you have any other suggestions? Because the overflow is so big and I would ideally like to mask the plumbing, but anything I do will be internal. I've always painted the backs of tanks. I could see if I could find black PVC pipes? Might look a little better?

If you painted the back black it would mask PVC that was also painted black...I don't think they make it black. The overflow being glass is a new one for me to try and brainstorm a solution.
Maybe black fled tubing? Might be too hard to get to work.

Back
Top Bottom