New 75 Gallon Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kockxj

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi im pretty new to this forum but im just kind of looking for some opinions i have a 30 gallon tank right now with cichlids in it and just purchased a new 75 gallon and am thinking of doing sand instead of gravel but am wondering on some sandsifter fish or i saw something on featherfins and how they like to mess with the sand.

Sorry what are you asking? for fish that like sand? or fish that hide in sand? or what? lol

either or just something that will ruffle the sand up so i dont have to do it as often. Because ive heard that with sand unlike gravel you have to ruffle it every so often because it catches air pockets if that makes any sense?

Yes that makes sense, Cichlids actually prefer sand. They like to dig around in it. As far as not having to churn it up every once in a while I can't think of a fish that digs enough to cover you for that. Look up "cichlid sand" I'm sure there is a cheaper more generic version of this but it is basically a corser less fine sand than the tradition play sand. It is less likely to have any of those dangerous pockets and would require less maitnence. I would just churn up the sand a bit every time you vacummed all the poo and other nasties out of your tank its really not a huge chore.

yea i just ordered cichlid sand for the tank my next question is i have 6 cichlids in my 30 gallon right now and they get along pretty good not exactly sure on what kind they all are but i was looking at some tanganyikan featherfins does anyone know if they will get along with my others or are they a little more aggressive?

Yea ill try to get some good pics up soon thanks guys.

I haven't kept them but I understand them to be of pretty much the same temperment as their cichlid buddies. Are you going to be moving your 30 gallon stock to the 75? otherwise I would be weary of adding more fish.

Back
Top Bottom