new aquarium owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! Give your tank one more day of no amm but add a pinch of finely crushed fish food. I probably mentioned this before, but do you know anyone with a healthy cycled tank or pond? Adding some cycled media is the quickest way to jumpstart a cycle. Angelsplus sells active cycled filter media but I dont know if they ship to Canada. Another consideration is adding Tetra Safe Start. While I generally dont endorse these type of bottled bacteria products, I have seen a some people that have had success with this particular product. Otherwise, hang in there!! The nitrite>nitrate phase is the most difficult & typically takes twice as long. :)

I don't know anyone with an aquarium. However I do have a bottle of the API bacteria cycle product that I originally put in. Should I put some of that in?

It wont hurt anything though the only product I have ever seen people have success with is the TSS (tetra safe start). Keep us posted!

Did you add the bacteria product yesterday? The zero nitrates is a bit odd. Ok, can you do a few dilution tests so we can see how high your nitrites are? Fill tube with 1/2 tank water, 1/2 tap water & test & see if you can get a readable result. Then 1/4 tank, 3/4 tap. Then 1/10 tank, 9/10 tap. This will give us an idea how high your nitrites really are. :)

Dont panic! I believe the cycle product is behind your nitrates zeroing out. Lets just get an idea of how high your nitrites really are & we can go from there. :)

hello again. half and half result is over 5. one quarter by 3 quarter result is 1ppm. and one tenth to 9 tenths result is close to zero?

Not as bad as I thought! Thank you! Do you think you can manage a 50% wc at some point today? After this, dose to 1ppm amm & we can go off of tomorrows results. :)

tank readings for today after 50%water change and dosing ammo back to 1ppm. ammo .50, nitrites off the chart, nitrate 20ppm, ph 8.0.

Hey! I'm new to this site and new to the marine aquarium! I have a 60 gallon tank and 10 gallon quarantine tank. I started my main tank about 1 week and already have 1 yellow tail tang sailfin, 1 banded shrimp and a starfish. I had 2 listing my tank both damsels. I know I started adding fish to early but I guess I'm just inpatient. I'm waiting on on my test kit to better watch the quality of the water since I do t know what's going on? I'm happy to join this site and to get better at this awesome hobby that I enjoy with my family

Thats an improvement! Ok, without getting very scientific, I suspect your lacking in phosphates. Your nitrite>nitrate bacteria need a source of phosphates in order to process nitrite. You added some phosphate with the fish food & your bacteria are getting to work! You still have a bit of ammonia in there & I hope to see a bigger jump in nitrates tomorrow! Add another pinch or two of fish food tonight & you can start redosing amm tomorrow. :)

Back
Top Bottom