New Aquarium + Tiger Barb Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amcody

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 4 week old 20 gal aquarium. It has not fully cycled yet (Ammonia .25; Nitrite 5ppm; Nitrate 80+ppm; pH 7.4). I use an API Master liquid test kit. Not strips. It has 6 tiger barbs and 1 "small" pleco, not a common, which were placed a few days after tank setup. Plenty of hiding places. First question is why are my nitrites and nitrAtes not lowering? I've done partial water changes (20-50%), top layer gravel vacuuming so I don't disturb all of the BB, skipped a day or two on feeding and still nothing is helping. I use Prime to dechlorinate and detoxify. The fish seem healthy. Eating, swimming, colorful and everything. Now that's where I get to my second question. I did a 50% water change today and it's been about a week since I last did a pwc. Same temp water to avoid shock/stress. Two of my males are now constantly fighting and nipping at each other since I did this water change. So much that they are becoming very pale looking and losing their vibrant colors. This didn't happen until I did the large water change and they've been together for 3 1/2 weeks. Any suggestions or help for both questions would be greatly appreciated.

This is likely do to the parameters. Normally tigers play like that but to do it to where they become pale is not normal. Continue to do water changes and check parameters. It should get better as the parameters stable but keep an eye on it.

Will do, definitely! Could you tell me approximately how long it will take for the nitrites to lower? It's been about a week since the ammonia dropped. Still waiting on the nitrite spike to end though.

Will do, definitely! Could you tell me approximately how long it will take for the nitrites to lower? It's been about a week since the ammonia dropped. Still waiting on the nitrite spike to end though.
eh it just depends. If you do frequent very large water changes it will probably be over in a few days.

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to say for sure when any cycle will get to a given stage, or end. They all take their own time. All you can do is be patient, no matter how frustrating it is, and make sure the ammonia does not rise over .25 so the fish are not harmed.

Tiger barbs are known for being very pushy, but it's not normal for them to bully each other to the point you are seeing. But fish can't take nitrite readings as high as 5, or nitrates over 50 ppm. So you need to do more water changes to keep nitrites and nitrates down as well as ammonia. NItrite is very nearly as bad as ammonia is, and while nitrate is considerably less dangerous, levels over 50 ppm can also harm fish.

I think the fish will do better if you get the nitrite and nitrate levels down as much as possible. Water changes won't slow down the cycle, but they will help the fish.

I think that's all for today I guess. Just hoping they leave each other alone again and this cycle finishes :)

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to say for sure when any cycle will get to a given stage, or end. They all take their own time. All you can do is be patient, no matter how frustrating it is, and make sure the ammonia does not rise over .25 so the fish are not harmed. Tiger barbs are known for being very pushy, but it's not normal for them to bully each other to the point you are seeing. But fish can't take nitrite readings as high as 5, or nitrates over 50 ppm. So you need to do more water changes to keep nitrites and nitrates down as well as ammonia. NItrite is very nearly as bad as ammonia is, and while nitrate is considerably less dangerous, levels over 50 ppm can also harm fish. I think the fish will do better if you get the nitrite and nitrate levels down as much as possible. Water changes won't slow down the cycle, but they will help the fish.

I will continue doing the water changes. Just want them to be healthy.

image-1686924757.jpg

Looking MUCH better today! No fighting either :)

Very nice looking tank. How are your parameters now?
Unfortunately they are still high. Same as yesterday and after another pwc :( I just keep using Prime to detoxify and I guess it's doing it's job.

Oh and thank you for the comment! I do believe I'm stuck in a nitrite spike stage that's never ending... Blah!

The nitrite portion is the longest of the cycle. Just have patience with it. Have you checked your tap water for nitrate? I would set a glass of water out for 24 hours, stirring occasionally, then test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH just to make sure your water source isn't contributing to your high numbers.

Yes I've tested them straight from the tap and right before I added fish at first just to be sure. All were 0.

Great. Just a matter of keeping up on water changes then. With fish in, make sure to keep nitrite at .25 ppm or less to keep everyone happy.

You may have to do 2 or 3 50% WC's a day until you get nitrites down to under .25ppm. Also at the end of the day after your done with WC's you can add 1/15th teaspoon of Aquarium Salt for every 10g of water which will counteract 1ppm of nitrite. Don't stop doing WC's, use the salt as an aid to help protect your fish.

You may have to do 2 or 3 50% WC's a day until you get nitrites down to under .25ppm. Also at the end of the day after your done with WC's you can add 1/15th teaspoon of Aquarium Salt for every 10g of water which will counteract 1ppm of nitrite. Don't stop doing WC's, use the salt as an aid to help protect your fish.
Wouldn't my pleco be sensitive to the aquarium salt?

At a rate of 1/15th a teaspoon of Aquarium salt per every 10 gallons of tank water it won't bother/affect either plants or sensitive fish. That is just a very tiny amount. So your pleco will be fine. Be sure to measure as you don't want more salt than this and be sure it is aquarium salt.

Back
Top Bottom