new aquarium with worries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

48colcat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a 29 gallon tank. Waited a few days for it to get to temp and then added 3 tetras. I had added the beginning water conditioner/PH down and checked the water using a test kit. I am using flake food and it seems they don't eat everything(I am giving them small amounts but will lessen it even more) I do see pieces go down to the bottom. I have done a couple of tests and working on getting my PH down and it has no signs of ammonia or nitrates/nitrites. It has only been a few days and I am worried about a spike in ammonia..should I be worried? I did add some healthy bacteria to the tank with the nitrite bacteria. I am not totally understanding the whole biological cycle. I guess wondering how many times a week should I be testing my water? and how often should I change the filter? I use a filter system that is not inside the tank but sucks water up and pushes it through the filter then goes back into the water..I just want to understand and keep my fish safe with the eventual adding for more fish

I boarder line feel this is a troll post, but ill give you the benefit of the doubt. Honestly this is what frustrates me about the fish keeping hobby, so many people run out and buy a tank and do ZERO research on how to set one up, let alone maintain it. You didn't cycle the tank, and at your current state you'll being doing a fish in cycle. Furthermore I'm not understanding a sponge filter that's not in the tank? That doesn't even make sense. It sounds to me you are horrible unprepared to establish and maintain a tank and from my guess you're lacking most of the equipment for it. Do you have a heater, air pump (assuming yes maybe for the not-in-tank sponge filter)? I'd highly recommend getting an actual filter, and doing some research such as youtube on how to set one up.

Don't worry about PH as most fish will adapt. Things you should have on hand, some form of beneficial bacteria, I recommend Seachem Stability. You'l also need a water conditioner, I recommend Seachem Prime. Can you post pics of your set up? Do you have some kind of siphon system to do water changes?

how about not be so rude...

anyway...it's not like fish stores don't tell you much..for crying out loud at least I am on here now...

I have 2 heaters. and did put if you did not read my whole post beneficial bacteria..so read my post. I have a siphon on the way.

There's an absolute plethora of resources one can indulge themselves in, so take some time and get yourself schooled up. The question you need to ask yourself, are willing to maintain a tank? There's a certain level of commitment whether it be a 5 gallon tank, or a 200 gallon tank. If you don't want to continually have fish die, you have to be prepared to regularly upkeep the tank with regular water changes and cleanings (gravel vaccing, etc..) which will be weekly, by weekly, and monthly chores. I've been around the block for awhile and have very healthy, established tanks, that with the routine I'm on there isn't a week out of the month where I'm not working on at least one of my tanks at some point.

I apologize as I may have been a bit harsh, but I see this regularly where someone ran out, bought a tank, filled it with water, dosed some beneficial bacteria and threw in fish like that was all they had to do. I urge you, hop on Youtube and do some research, and furthermore answer the question of are you really committed to maintaining a tank?

yes...absolutely. I want to learn...I have had oscars in the past and never did crap with the water and they lived for a few years. I didn't just jump into this..I just never realized it was a bit complicated because of the nitrogen cycle..hell when you go into the fish store they mention nothing...about it. I have 3 small fish and I want to do good by them..will not buy anymore until this is solved.

guess I am asking now that I have the 3 fish where do I go from here? how do i see or know that the nitrogen cycle has begun without killing my fish?

Can you upload a picture of the tank? What all equipment do you have? You'll have to do a fish in cycle in fish are in the tank. This requires having a filter of some sort, which a sponge filter on its own can work, but that should be in the tank. Do you have a test kit? If not you need to pick one up so you can at least check Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. Ammonia, and nitrites will kill fish. This is why we have to establish a cycled tank through the nitrogen cycle. With fish in the tank, you have an ammonia source along with food decaying in the tank. You need to be adding Beneficial bacteria daily, and testing at least every two days or so watching for the ammonia spike, and looking for nitrites to rise.

yes I have the bigger test kit and have done the test 2 times. I know the basics...okay that helps..I was wondering about that what brand of beneficial bacteria? so I would expect a spike in the ammonia first and then the nitrites? and if so..will that come down on it's own? by placing the beneficial bacteria in the tank correct? I can't upload the tank pics yet..I can tonight. I have the standard filter that hangs on the back of the tank. I didn't know I had to have the sponge filter too.

I can buy more of the beneficial bacteria today...and add some tonight. if I get an ammonia spike what then do I do? add something or do a water change?

its gonna take a bit before you start getting ammonia readings. Once you do get a spike you'll wanna do a water change since you have fish in tank to bring the numbers down. But for sure keep dosing beneficial bacteria daily until you've gotten the tank to cycle.

okay. got it...should I test daily for ammonia? I bought one of those in tank ammonia alert things. that should be coming..what brand of bacteria do you recommend?

I would assume that once that ammonia spikes I should start seeing the nitrites rising? then the nitrates? is this correct? then I know I am cycling ?

Yes, ammonia will spike, then nitrites will jump, and ammonia will drop, at that point you should start to see nitrates meaning the cycle is starting to come to a close. The big thing you'll be watching for is ammonia and nitrites to both drop to zero over a 24 hour period, this is your sign the tank is cycled. I swear by Seachem Stability, I've used it to cycle tanks, and I dose all my tanks after every water change. While you're cycling I recommend to dose once per day, this helps in establishing the colony. Its also good if you used some kind of quick start when you initially set the tank up. Also keep some kind of water conditioner on hand like Seachem prime, that way you can detoxify the ammonia when need be. Test everyday if you can, or at minimum every two days. Once you see an ammonia spike, doing a 25% water change. You don't want to over do water changes as this can stall a cycle.

I have the prime and the stability seachum brands. I will check for the ammonia and when that spikes do the 25% change then monitor for all the nitrates to go down. I think I get it now..I did place bacteria in it yesterday and will today. how much of the bacteria should I add? for how many days? until the tank goes through the cycle?

Go off of what the bottle says for your size tank, and just test daily to every two days, and dose once a day. That's the thing cycling is you just have to be patient and let it run its course

I have to admit I felt it was a slight troll :/ but that was not the way to respond to the op so I'm glad you took the time to explain all those things which I don't normally take the time to do...

Back
Top Bottom