New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elsij

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am starting fresh with a new home and researching aquariums, & fish. I hope to learn the right size to start with that will include some very nice fish, not much on agression. I am hoping to find very helpful and fun ideas from this group. Thank you for all the information that you share with this new aquarium! -BUBBLES Lori

Definitely get a 55 gallon+ (if u can afford) as you will regret if u get under and that is easier to keep. Also wait for the petco or Petsmart 1$ per gallon sale and get one then. Then other can post what lights and filters you should get. Usually kits come with crappy ones so you save money not replacing them. Also I would recommend sand (play sand cheap and looks good(just rinse well!!)). Advice from a fellow new fish keeper :)

I disagree.. $/g is at least 6 months away now.

Find a species of fish you like - whether you want graceful or colorful or active (and you could always tell us what you like in animals and we could make suggestions!) and then find a tank thy would be a proper size. You don't want to go big right away if you won't need it.

I have a lil tip... The larger the bottom of the tank (the "foot print"), in most cases, the better! I got a column tank which means it's taller than wide & it really limits my stocking options for my bottom dwellers as well as fish that need to swim in the middle horizontally. I joined the forum after I already had a tank that I spent a lot of $$$ on :(

Another tip... If you're able, try Craigslist.org You should expect to pay around a $1/gal for used tanks, make sure they hold water (aren't reptile tanks) and then factor in extra $$ if they have other parts to sell or buy your accessories brand new. Good luck! This hobby is addicting!! Welcome!

Thank you! Thank you!

I have heard an aquarium should never be placed by a door or window. Is this true? And why?

Thank you again!

elsij said:
Thank you! Thank you!

I have heard an aquarium should never be placed by a door or window. Is this true? And why?

Thank you again!

Hi! I thin there reasons are. If left by a door and the door is left open it can create a draft, plus the door would slam and bang quite often which would disturb the water. And the window because of algae. There would be so mu h of it. ( depending on where you live) my tank is placed by a window but I have otos which eat it.

elsij said:
Thank you! Thank you!

Thank you again!

By a door, it might cause too rapid of water temp changes which could shock the fish--yes, they'd survive but you want them to thrive. And the window may cause algae but that all depends on stocking, planted or not, the water's nutrients, etc.--you may still get algae even if you do everything right! But it certainly does help to try to prevent it!! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom