New betta with spots - ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryFan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,
This is my mom's new betta. Her first fish!
I gave her a cycled aquarium, and he's settling in nicely (bought yesterday).
She sent me this photo because of the grayish spots on his head. They weren't visible yesterday because he was very pale at the store (white).
Do they look like any kind of problem?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1424653859801.jpg
    1424653859801.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 79
It's hard to tell since you don't know what his natural coloration is yet. I assume the tank is filtered/heated/all params normal etc? If he's acting normal and params are normal that could just be his natural coloration

Okay, thanks! Yes, established filter and heater, dechlorinated water, etc.

It's been running for months, and I just moved my betta out the same day. All new water, and the new fish had only been in it for about 8 hours, so I'm sure it isn't the parameters. We didn't let anything dry out.
I won't be able to test her water for several days.

I'll see if I can send my master test kit over to her house.

Okay, I talked to her and can go over there on Thursday. Thank you for helping! If she can get us any more info, before then, I'll share!

Guys, I've never seen anything like this. I think it's really bad.

She's only giving him 3 food pellets twice a day, and I found left over food in here.

Attachments

• 1424967135276.jpg
    1424967135276.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 53
He hasn't been really moving much at all, and eats on the bottom, if he's even actually eating. :-(

She's only giving him 3 food pellets twice a day, and I found left over food in here.

6 pellets a day with food left over... I'd bet that's overfeeding and causing water quality issues. Is she doing water changes. That's always the first step as I'm sure you know.. (particularly if you aren't testing the water yet .... I would assume a water quality issue until you are sure it's not)

I thought they were supposed to get a group equal to the size of the eye of the fish? (Confused)

I thought they were supposed to get a group equal to the size of the eye of the fish? (Confused)

I've always seen 2-3 per day suggested on forums and too many pellets at one time can cause bloating and swim bladder issues. Either way if he is not eating them and they are just rotting in the water that's going to cause water quality issues.

Betta's can go a long time without eating, so don't worry about him starving. If he's not eating just don't feed him for a day or two and focus on making sure the water quality is pristine. Might be enough to get his appetite back and help with whatever is causing his coloration issues...

Okay, agreed, but now I'm hoping that he's actually eating okay! Thanks.

Okay, agreed, but now I'm hoping that he's actually eating okay! Thanks.

(Sorry, I accidentally posted before I was done and once I edited you had already replied)

Hopefully someone else will know more because I'm certainly no expert on Betta diseases... I just know if it was my fish and I wasn't sure what was wrong I would up the water changes just in case of a water quality issue.

Good luck. And let us know if there is any change!

I noticed the filter just stopped while I was cleaning it. I think it has a short or something, so we're going to get a new one and just sit the old media in the tank.

I noticed the filter just stopped while I was cleaning it. I think it has a short or something, so we're going to get a new one and just sit the old media in the tank.

oops! yup that could be a problem!

You may know this but some filters can stop because their impeller gets jammed up with gunk. You might be able to get it going again by removing the impeller rinsing it off and putting it back in.

Back
Top Bottom