New canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a new Eheim 2217 that is going on my new 4x2x2 tank but due to painting issues with the cabinet it won't be ready to set up for another week or two.

As I already have 3 tanks running and limited space, I'm going to have to move my cichlids straight into their new home when it's ready to go, and sell one of my existing tanks.

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to put some media in the 2217 from my existing 2213 that's on my goldfish tank, and then run it in the cichlid tank until it's time to do the change over - will this generate enough BB to cope in a new tank if I'm also going to use my existing AC70 HOB?

Thanks fish peeps!!!

If you have seeded media it's always a good idea to use it. Use as much seeded media as you can and use what's in their current filter and you should be pretty well off on BB. Just monitor your ammonia and nitrites for a couple weeks.

Thanks Rivercats! Will taking say half of the media from the 2213 and replacing it with new media cause any cycling problems on the goldfish tank would you think?

I think I'll go this route so that the new filter will be up and running with seeded media for about a week before it goes onto the new tank.

As long as the goldie tank isn't overcrowded. I stole seeded media out of the goldie tanks (2) many times without issues but it got harder when they got up and over the 8 inch mark.

Congrats on purchasing the best canister filter available :)

When you change the water on the goldfish tank, put some of it in the other tank and if you have a rock or some wood you can move that. If you seed the filter your tank is just about ready to go.

When you change the water on the goldfish tank, put some of it in the other tank and if you have a rock or some wood you can move that. If you seed the filter your tank is just about ready to go.

I'll be using brand new sand and rocks in the new tank, but will be adding a piece of driftwood that's currently in the goldies tank, along with an existing HOB filter so I'm hoping it will be a smooth transition with no new cycles.

Can you run your new filter on the Goldie's tank while you wait for the new tank to be set up? If you do this, plus add some seeded media you'll be laughing. I did that with my last new tank. Worked a treat.

Can you run your new filter on the Goldie's tank while you wait for the new tank to be set up? If you do this, plus add some seeded media you'll be laughing. I did that with my last new tank. Worked a treat.

That's the plan - to run it on the cichlid tank until the new tank is ready to go.

Could be longer than I thought - I've been given bum advice after bum advice from the hardware store on painting the cabinet, so now I have to sand it right back and start again. But that's another story for another thread lol.

Oh well - more time to seed the filter I guess :)

:D
I'm on the Goldy. There is an aquarium shop up your way I want to get to at some point. Annerley. Have you been there?

Voting today :banghead:

Haha I voted early - too many aquarium missions to do today. Yes, I frequent Annerley Aquarium. Great little place. The owner's a bit odd but Matt is a great and knowledgeable guy. He's never steered me wrong. It's not in Annerley though lol - it's more like Stones Corner/Coorparoo.

Back
Top Bottom