New cleaner shrimp won't eat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

litebrite

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got 2 Lysmata amboinensis White-Striped Cleaner Shrimp.

One shrimp attacks and inhales everything but the other shimp won't eat.

The one that won't eat shedded yesterday. It just hangs out on a rock swaying back and fourth grooming it self. When I put food in front if it, the shrimp gets angry and pushes it away then does extra grooming.

I tried fish pellets, brine shrimp, green algae. Won't eat anything.

Other wise it looks healthy. It's belly is empty compared to the other shrimp. Water quality is fine. It's been 7 days and no eating. Any advice?

PS. Shrimps are in separate tanks.

I`m sure he is eating. He just dont eat when you are standing there. Mine are very active at nite. I`m sure your`s is too.

Before , after and during a molt they are quite vulnerable and become less active . Just give him time to get his exoskeleton hardened , it is their weakest point and they will eat less but he should resume eating in "view" once his skeleton has hardened ...He is scavenging just not in your view . Fish and such can go up to a month with out food but will forage and find what they need in the tank so long as it is established .

Thank you. I was holding the shrimp in a holding tank until it ate. Would it be better to place it in the big tank with algae covered live rock for an alt food source?

They won't eat algae, but will eat just about everything else. Agree with Sadielynn - my shrimp are loners just before a molt, and just after. It'll probably be eating tomorrow, or the next day. Unless you plan on quarantining it for several weeks, then I'd just put him in your main tank (drip acclimation).

Thanks. I've been trying to feed it with an oral syringe. Today it took 3 brines from the tip and ate them. Not much of a meal but such a good sign. :)

Just let him be he will come round unless he is not healthy to begin with ,or has a fish that is picking on him ... He will forage once he feels safe enough to do so ... this was stressfull enough to throw him into a molt just giving him time is the best thing you can do with him ... IF you want to or feel the need to feed him try sinking pellets or mysis, or even cyclopeeze (not too much cyclopeeze as this stuff a little really does go along way )

The shrimp today ate a whole fish pellet and 7 brine shrimp. I will manually feed it for 3 more days then release it in to the main tank. Thank you again! I won't freek out next time a shrimp molts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom