New Clown Loaches (Hiding)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dgreenslade

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I bought 5 3.5" Clown Loaches from a very reputable local fish store and added them to my tank. Ever since I brought them home they have hidden underneath a cave like structure I have built underneath a large piece of driftwood and seem terrified of Humans.

I have only ever seen 2 of them since, early in the morning when I wake up and the sun is just coming up.

I recently put a 1.5" diameter piece of zucchini in the tank which was gone by morning and the Alga discs I am using are gone as well.

I am wondering if the other 3 are ok underneath the log and if I should move the log to find out? It looks like they've made multiple entrances to their cave as well.

Tank Specs:

- 90 Gallon with 5 Cardinals and 5 Clown Loaches.
- Planted with a lot of real plants of various species.
- C02 injected, measured and steady for optimal plant growth (KH/PH Chart) Regulator with Solenoid, Check valve etc.
- The C02 is never turned off to keep the PH consistent.
- No air stone or bubbler (I am told and from research believe a heavily planted tank produces enough air) (Comments welcome)
- Temp 79.5
- PH 7.1 -- KH 8 -- GH 12 -- Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate (.1) (barely registers)
- Tank age - 2 Months, 2 weeks
- Lighting 2xAquatic Life T5HO 48" fixtures (Total light 208W @ 10 hrs/day)

These readings have all been steady for around a month now and the Loaches were added a week ago.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
DG

How long have they been in the tank? It's not unusual for them to hide completely for a few days.

Also, mine are only out in the late afternoon/early evening/final hours before lights go out. Most of the day they spend hiding.

How long have they been in the tank? It's not unusual for them to hide completely for a few days.

Also, mine are only out in the late afternoon/early evening/final hours before lights go out. Most of the day they spend hiding.

Hey,

They've been in the tank for a week now.

I only see my Clowns occasionally. There's one or two out at various times during the day, but at about 11am (when the lights go on) they are all out swimming around like maniacs trying to get my attention. I think it's just what they do. I've moved these fish from one tank to another multiple times inside ornaments because they would never come out when I needed them to. If you don't want a fish which hides, you have to provide them shaded areas rather than places they can completely hide in - or - find another fish. 'cause this is what they do. :)

mine have lots of places to hide, but are out and going full speed b4 i turn the lights on but, if i get home late and its after about 1030pm there nowhere to be found lol they must have a bed time haha

Did you slowly acclimate them to your tank?

Yeah I did the usual acclimation process.

When I woke up this morning, I saw 2 of them out swimming around. About 10 feet from the tank they darted back for the cave.

I also noticed several large snail shells laying on the bottom this morning so it looks like they had a snail feast last night.

Back
Top Bottom