New Cories not doing so well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rianyu

Aquarium Advice Activist
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

3 Panda Cories. All of them started curving their tails to the side and did not gain much weight even though they were eating fine until they seemed to get too weak to forage more.

I am worried because most of the time I search up curved tails, people lean towards fish TB. Should I be concerned? I saw no lesions on the skin and the only indicators is the wasting and curved tail (kind of like a U shaped fish by the time they die). I have 1 left and The tail curve is happening slightly.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

I unfortunately only have strips currently. I have been meaning to get a good master test kit but as of now the readings are fine and PH is between 6-7. The quarantine tank is established and cycled to many sure any new fish will have the best chance they can.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

The QT tank is 5 gallons

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number

Marina Slim S10 at max 54gph

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

Just the 3 Panda Cories in the QT

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

I have been doing 25% every week until I noticed them acting oddly and started doing 50% every 5 days.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

A couple weeks. I acclimated with open bag in the tank, dripping tank water into the bag periodically over an hour.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

I used Seachem Prime. It's the same as what I use for my main tank. Fluval Stratum is the substrate with some water wisteria. The substrate is fairly new.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Primarily brine shrimp pellets. It's the same I use for the Pandas in my main tank and i figure if they love it, the new guys will too. They devour the pellet quickly.

not sure if this will be of any help. A few years ago I picked up 10 C. shwartzi from BA. They didn't seem interested in food so I gave them some white worms. They ignored them so I figured there was something wrong. Treated them with Jungle (now Tetra) Parasite Guard, and they began to eat the next day. They didn't really show any symptoms other than one or two died. They were thin but I believe they were probably wild caught, so being thin looking was not unexpected. However, if corys won't eat white worms, there is something seriously wrong.

Oh interesting. I will attempt that for the guy I have left. It'll be really awesome if I can save him.

Just so paranoid now about fish tuberculosis not only for him but for my hands too. Ugh why internet?!

What temperature ? Pandas also like it a bit cooler than most Cory Cats.

Parasites are often my first thought with Cory issues as well, since some are WC.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have the temp set to 76F, trying to keep it the same as the main tank to make transferring easier when the time comes. Is this too high?

Interesting, I have some API General Cure...will this work ok? Or should I go and grab a box of Jungle Parasite Guard or something else?

I will tonight had to leave in a hurry for work this morning. And ok cool I'll ask there as well. Thanks for the help will update soon!

Here are some pictures of him. His fins aren't looking great either. I've also noticed he's favouring foraging in the wisteria leaves instead of the substrate compared to the cories in my main tank. Is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_20150112_191907.jpg
    IMG_20150112_191907.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20150112_191919.jpg
    IMG_20150112_191919.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 75
Checked again this morning to see if I can see any sign of worms. Nothing so far, but he's starting to become a bit more lethargic. Fed him and he ate just as usual.

Worms would not cause the fins to look so tattered.

How are the water tests looking ?
Are you shaking up the Nitrate test thoroughly ? Edit** I forgot you only had test strips. When you say the tests are fine, what does fine mean? Please post results.

With his fins looking that tattered I would just make sure he's in REALLY clean water.

How big is the tank ?

What are you feeding ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Sorry, I am going to check if they have the water tests after work tonight.

Nitrites and Nitrates read 0 and PH is at 6.5

The tank currently is 5 Gallons

Been feeding him brine shrimp pellets.

I am changing the water every 3 days, because that was my worry too but I also didn't want to stress him out.

Also I am feeling distrustful of my tests, this morning his gills seem redder and there is a notable red line along the end of his tail where his tail fin starts.

Got a liquid API master kit tonight and did tests according to the instruction.

PH 6.6
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm

Nitrates are ok right? I'm really stumped...

I did, 30 seconds for the second solution and a little over a minute to mix. Tested it twice just to be sure.

I know these guys can't take salt very well, should I bother with Melafix? I'm really scared of killing him with medications

Alright I will keep the water as clean as I can for a couple days to see if he gets any better. Not sure what else I can do to keep it cleaner tbh.

Ty for the tip, I'll resort to meds if he doesnt improve...

Digging up old thread to update and maybe educate some new fishkeepers like me....

Saved them! They are fantastic now and back in the main tank.

Problem was my fault, because I had plants in the tanks I had been very conservative in my use of the gravel cleaner. It was too dirty at the bottom where they hung out the most. Vacuuming well every day for a week made a world of a difference. Had to do a lot of searching and watching videos on how people properly clean their planted tanks without uprooting the plants.

Back
Top Bottom