New Discus Mommy ❤️

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bebettarian

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! Wow, an introductions thread, I feel so welcomed already [emoji7]

I am really happy to be part of a forum with others with the same addiction [emoji23] I've been into the hobby for quite some time now, but it's only in these past 2 years that I began to get my arms really wet from setting up (freshwater) tank after tank for myself and family/friends.

I've recently mustered up the courage to care for some Discus fish and I can't believe I've waited this long to have some. They bring me so much joy. I know I have overstocked my 55gal with 7 Discus' and 100 rummynose tetras that school beautifully [emoji7] so I have been doing daily water changes of about 20-30%

That being said, I'd like to ask your experiences in doubling-up on filtration. I currently have an Eheim 2217 set-up on this and I'm considering on adding 2 airpowered filters in the corners, but still undecided on corner box or sponge, tho I do see a lot of set-ups using sponge filters with their Discus fish. I am also considering those double sponges that attach to the glass.

If you look at the pic attached, you'll see that I also have a bubble curtain in the back there for water movement, but I'm considering to remove it if I do setup the corner filters so I could conveniently use the airlines already there. But I could always get another air pump, and split the airlines to share so I could keep the curtain. Will that be too much movement for the Discus' tho? Hmm [emoji848]

Anyways, I'd like to hear your suggestions before I get anything more for this tank. Time for me to look for a Discus thread in here now [emoji7]

Bebe
IMG_1416.jpg

Don't get anything else for that tank. Your discus are beautiful! Welcome!

Don't get anything else for that tank. Your discus are beautiful! Welcome!

Too late!! I just literally got these! [emoji23][emoji28]
IMG_1430.jpg

Thank you tho for your reply [emoji120]

Yes, I feel fortunate to have found these discus, even tho I didn't purchase them from the hardcore breeders [emoji7]

Welcome to AA. Nice looking group of discus and rummy noses. I don't think your tank is over
Stocked considering your filtration and WC routine. The addition of the new filters offers more pros than cons. I kept discus for nearly 5 years, more years ago than I care to admit. I kept
German cobalt blues and watley turquoise greens. Although they were very beautiful, they were no better looking than yours. I ran a magnum 330 canister filter and two sponge filters in a 58 gal. Oceanic tank. The swift current was no problem. I started out like you, bare tank set up with the addition of the unsightly clay flower pots, hoping for a mated pair. Initially no success until I added pool filter gravel, drift wood and rocks. Surprisingly that's when I got a mated pair. Unfortunately the water is very hard in my area, and the eggs would never hatch.
I had 7 or 8 discus, and a few got dinner plate sized.
Sadly I had to give up the discus and that tank when I moved. Now I have two much larger tanks, keeping fish that are far to agressive for discus. Good luck with the discus. Keep AA updated.

Welcome to AA. Nice looking group of discus and rummy noses. I don't think your tank is over

Stocked considering your filtration and WC routine. The addition of the new filters offers more pros than cons. I kept discus for nearly 5 years, more years ago than I care to admit. I kept

German cobalt blues and watley turquoise greens. Although they were very beautiful, they were no better looking than yours. I ran a magnum 330 canister filter and two sponge filters in a 58 gal. Oceanic tank. The swift current was no problem. I started out like you, bare tank set up with the addition of the unsightly clay flower pots, hoping for a mated pair. Initially no success until I added pool filter gravel, drift wood and rocks. Surprisingly that's when I got a mated pair. Unfortunately the water is very hard in my area, and the eggs would never hatch.

I had 7 or 8 discus, and a few got dinner plate sized.

Sadly I had to give up the discus and that tank when I moved. Now I have two much larger tanks, keeping fish that are far to agressive for discus. Good luck with the discus. Keep AA updated.

Thank you so much for replying. I feel you with your Discus' how I wish mine would grow to be that large. I used that online tank stocking calculator and it said i was overstocked so that kinda freaked me out, considering all these fish still have much to grow. The rummys are also just about an inch long. I went ahead and got these massive corner sponge filters and installed them just now.

This is what it looks like now, and it's starting to grow on me...
IMG_1454.jpg

Don't they look like speakers? [emoji23]My fish can party now [emoji1323]

I have other heavily planted tanks, and i can only attend to so many, so I've decided to keep this one rather bare. I didn't realize those "speakers" were so large tho [emoji28] oh well, pike u said, more pros than cons... the cons being me being broke fast [emoji23]

Thank you for welcoming me. I feel at home here at AA [emoji177]

Beautiful, I love Discus!

To save you trouble of daily pwc, start the search for a larger tank! They need more room to grow up, really big!!!

Back
Top Bottom