New dwarf puffer setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy monkey

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 60 litre tanks finally cycled after 6 months and loads of issues, and I've just finished putting the decor in for a couple of dwarf puffers which are on order and I should get in the next couple of weeks :-D

image-2621784195.jpg

I know fake plants don't look as good as real ones but I'm not green fingered at all and my attempt at a planted tank didn't go well. I've tried to make it look busy, got an extra long plant that's giving some cover and there's a cave made up of rocks on the left as well as the hobbit looking one on the right.

Is it busy enough for 2 puffers to not kill each other?

Looks decent coverage. You could use more plants though.

What happened with your first attempt at a planted tank?

Looks decent coverage. You could use more plants though.

What happened with your first attempt at a planted tank?

Thanks Terrance, I was hoping you'd post! The first 4 weeks the plants were great, growing well and looking healthy. I had to trim the Anacharis a few times cos they grew massive, and I ended up with bits of leaves everywhere that looked a mess, and after the 3rd time they just wouldn't stay planted (I didn't uproot them to cut them down, I don't know why they decided to float).

My corkscrew val lost loads of leaves, I kept pulling the brown ones off but ended up with just one green leaf left.

The water sprite did well but after about 6 weeks went the same way as the val.

I had a grass plant too (not sure on ID) and that stayed green, but just fell apart!

I ended up with what I can only describe as dust bunnies all over the tank, despite frequent water changes as I was cycling. Maybe it was the ammonia that killed them all, but I'm wary of them now.

Shame cos when it was going well I loved how it looked-

image-2967273887.jpg

A DP question- will 2 be ok? Some pages say they should be in a group to minimise aggression, but I only have a 60 litre tank and don't want to overcrowd it.

On the other hand I've seen lots of posts about DPs dying shortly after arrival, I've done loads of research but am actually having nightmares about losing them (I dreamt I hoovered them up with a vacuum cleaner!), so am toying with the idea of getting 3 or 4 just to have a chance of having a survivor!

You will be fine with 2. The more you have, the harder it is to track them IMO. Also your tank is too bare to have 3-4 DPs. Try to find the 2 roundest (not fattest) puffer you can find. Less chance for disease this way.

I'm all for plastic plants. I actually like the ease and care of their cleaning. If possible, I would always recommend plants due to the challenge they present for hobbyist. Once you get your puffers settled, healthy and a few weekly water changes later, consider look for your next challenge. Maybe that challenge will be plants with your DP.

When you had your planted tank, what kind of lighting (how many watts and kind of bulb?)? Any Co2 or fertilizer? I think you might have more fun with plants if they didn't keep dying. Healthy plants show grow and you trim. It shouldn't be you picking up all the dead leaves.

The bulb was just a 20w that came with the tank, I didn't use co2 (I know nothing about it!) but I did have plant food that I put in with each water change and when I set it up.

I would like to try plants again, but it'll be a long way down the road when I'm sure I can look after the DPs properly. Thanks for your help, I'm gonna get a few more plants today but I'll just stick to 2 DPs :)

Added more plants, replaced the 2 rocks with a bigger ornament. Hopefully it will be busy enough now, don't think I can add much more!

image-1363604427.jpg

Nice cover! I think you are ready for them (assuming you have already cycled).

Back
Top Bottom