New filter in cycled tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bish67

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi...need some advice please.
I have a 10 gallon planted tank that is fully cycled but I am unhappy with the old filter in it (its a second hand tank and i inherited the filter)so I have placed a new fluval filter with a spray bar in it.
I have left the old filter in for now as I know I will remove the majority of the bacteria.
How long will the new filter take to build up the required bacteria so I can remove the old filter?
Thanks for your help in advance.

I think I would run both filters for a little while 3 days to a week. What filter are you changeing to?

Hi...need some advice please.
I have a 10 gallon planted tank that is fully cycled but I am unhappy with the old filter in it (its a second hand tank and i inherited the filter)so I have placed a new fluval filter with a spray bar in it.
I have left the old filter in for now as I know I will remove the majority of the bacteria.
How long will the new filter take to build up the required bacteria so I can remove the old filter?
Thanks for your help in advance.

Are the media interchangeable? You could possibly put some of the media from the old filter into the new one if it is compatible.

Running two filters at the same time, a few weeks to a month. Running two filter's actually a smart way to provide an instant backup in case one falters. Consider just running both.

If you just want to run one, or have too much flow with two, take all the media out of the old and stuff it in the newer to seed the newer media. Again, give it a month for BB to colonize the newer media.

Running two filters at the same time, a few weeks to a month. Running two filter's actually a smart way to provide an instant backup in case one falters. Consider just running both.

If you just want to run one, or have too much flow with two, take all the media out of the old and stuff it in the newer to seed the newer media. Again, give it a month for BB to colonize the newer media.

+1, completely agree... i run two AC110's on my 125 and i'm about to aquire a nice big canister from a co-worker who no longer needs it. :D

Changing it to a fluval nano...much better filter.
I only want one to run one filter but they are not interchangeable though I could put some if the old filter in the new. Guess i should run them for a month together then to be safe...

I ran mine for 3 weeks. I got a new Aquaclear that was replacing an old Marineland 150B. Then stuffed on old filter pad cut down to size. no fluctuations.

Yeah i havent done the swapping if filter sponge round yet...need to cut some off the old to speed up process....

Back
Top Bottom