New firefish came with ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adamtron2000

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 60 gallon tank with a fluval 300 canister that has been cycling for a month and a half and reads 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 0-10 nitrates. It has live rock and sand. Salinity is about 0.023. Yesterday I bought a firefish pair and a cleaner shrimp with a small crew of snails and hermits. This morning I noticed some tiny white dots on them (one fish just has one dot, the other with 3 or 4). I do not have a quarantine tank. What is my best option? They are very healthy and ate some pieces of shrimp this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The dots also kind of stick out like grains of salt. Very tiny

The only way to treat ich is with either hypo salinity or copper medication. None of which can be done in the display, which would need to be fallow for 6-8 weeks for the ich life cycle to complete.
Disease is usually a sign of stress. It is a good idea to qt any new fish to observe them if you can't in the store.

Is there any way fish can develop an immunity in the tank? I've heard of some people letting all of their fish just live with it immune

there is no immunity, them having ich is showing they have a weakened immune system. like hank said, set up the hospital tank or rehome to someone that can.

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'll be setting up a 10 gallon quarantine this week then!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom