new firemouths with ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smooth_cannibal

Aquarium Advice Activist
i got 4 firemouth the other night and now i noticed one was all spotty and the other three are showing much less but its there. they are juvies

it had to come with them from the fish store. my other tank is okay so far. i noticed it before tank cleaning day (today). there could be some cross contamination.

i'm going to do the salt/heat treatment. the fm tank is staying about 81 because its hot in the house this time of year. i know cichlids can take the heat usually but i don't know if firemouths are any different. never kept them before.

i tried searching since ich has got to be threaded to death

i get raise the temp to anywhere from 80 to 89 and thats a big range.

if i don't have to give meds i don't want to.

i'm giving this a bump as i don't want to do anything dumb and my post doesn't sound like questions.

this is what i have done so far.

i have done a tank cleaning of around 50 percent and my temp is around 83 now. i added about a 1/4 cup sea salt

i'm curious to know if the fm can take the temp if i go over 85 which is the temp which the ich stops reproducing.

and i am curious about how much more salt if any i should be adding and how often.

should i be doing a daily water change or at least more frequently?

sorry i haven't had any time for threads in the past few days. thank you. i think i actually came across that article and then i couldn't find it again. i didn't realize it was on this site lol. i did read it when you posted the link originally just didn't reply.

i raised the temp to 86 (i only added 1/2 cup salt) and less two days it had cleared up so now i'm just waiting to bring their temp down now.

i'll add for anyone who searches the fm seem to be just okay with the higher temps and the salt but i didn't really add all that much.

thanks again for the link.

TBH: I feel like I could be rep for Seachem lol. I did heat + salt for 12 days in my cichlid tank to beat ick, but still had it on loaches and in wifes tank. Seachem has a great new proprietary item out called Paraguard. Use it lol, works safely, and I think the main ingredient is magic it works so fast/safely/well.

Back
Top Bottom