New fish dying!! HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jumping in late. Lots of good advice already in this thread.

Have you tested your kH? that may be a key to this whole thing. pH is a factor to worry about, yes, but a large shift in kH can also be something to look at since this appears to be a difficult one to diagnose.

Unless I missed it, you didn't say what process you use to acclimate. If you're not using the drip method, check into it. If you do have a large pH or kH change between your tank and your LFS tanks, then it is possible that over a period of days for fish to deteriorate. Think about if you lived in sunny florida where it's warm all the time, and got sent to the arctic where you were out in the cold constantly. You'd initially get sick because of the rapid change, and because you're now out of your element you continue to decline because your immune system is weakened. Works that way for pH and kH too I think.

At your next opportunity, get a water sample from your LFS and use your test kits to test what they're giving you. Ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, pH, kH. Could show some interesting information.

Also, there's a lot to be said for just getting bad stock of fish. It's unfortunate, but it is quite common.

thanks neil....yea thought about that...actually when it began happening i went to the lfs with my water and we took water from their tank...i took my test kit they used there..consistant numbers across the board....only diff. is temp...mine is about 82 theres was about 78...i acclimate by adding water to the floating bag.till the bag is full....once the bag floats for awhile i cut the lgihts off redecorate a bit and release.

Back
Top Bottom