New fish infested with ich..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkmrsteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm ranting a little, in advance, sorry

My local petsmart is remodeling and had a super fish sale. I got 4 phantom tetras for 89c each, and two others for a little more. They looked fine at the store, but after 24 hours in my tank I noticed what I thought was bubbles on them. 4 days now, and its looking more worse then better, also realizing its probably ich after all. Two are covered fairly bad, others have a few spots.

It has taken all my effort to keep the tank under 80 with summer around, even took the heater out. Adding an air pump to get it just below 78.

Over the past 6 hours now I have raised my tank temp up to 85-86, changed 8gal of my 40 gal tank, and raised my salinity some.

My bumble bee cat dose not seem to like the warm water, and I'm not adding to much salt bc of the snails in the tank as well.

What am I doing wrong, and what more can I do?

ForumRunner_20120603_231815.jpg

It will take time. Just maintain the heat at 86 and increase aeration and water changes. Salt helps bit isn't required. Leave the heat for about 1 after the last spot is seen.

If the cats can't deal with the heat, try using Kordon Ich Attack. I am not positive, but I believe you will have to remove the snails for that though, but you should double check that.

Its still 6-8 weeks into this tank, with what seems like an anything that could happen, has... So I dont want to kill what progress I have made with chemicals,

I have maintained the temp within 80-90. don't have the best heater, and would rather it drop a little when I'm gone then cook the fish. The tetras are looking MUCH better. Most has cleared up, but one was worse then all the rest and still covered a bit. They are all more active and healthy looking.

two days in the heat treatment, and at lasts two more tell the specs are no longer visible.

Back
Top Bottom