New Fish not getting along

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mclo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help!
So today I bought a large angelfish and a pink kissing gourami for my tank. I have 2 gold gouramis, 2 mollies, 3 small feeder guppies, 2 dwarf gouramis (one is orangeish blue, i can't remember the name and the other is a powder blue) and an opaline gourami. I was worried the two new semi aggressive fish could cause problems, so I've been watching them carefully. The 2 gold gouramis and the opaline were really bullying the new guys. The opaline one seemed to be instigating most of the issues, so I've temporarily taken him out and things seem to be fine. Will it just work itself out? And when should I put him back? What should I do to keep them from hurting the other fish? They've always been super docile and I've never had a problem before.

It may work itself out, but you can never be sure. Taking out the bully is a good idea because when he goes back, he will be the new one and less likely to be territorial/aggressive. He may just be mad that new fish are in his space, but I don't know for sure.

What size tank?
How long has it been set up?
Kissing gouramis are a no no for all but the largest,and even then a poor choice for a closed system.They may only be second to plecostomus or goldfish on the waste creator scale.They can be worse depending what size they are.
All gouramis are pretty tough especially the ones you have chosen...
How did you choose them,certainly no source would recommend so many gouramis in one tank.They are related to and sometimes have behavior similar to bettas....

Coralbandit -

It's a 75 gallon tank, it's been setup with these fish for about 6 months.
I just thought the gouramis were pretty and I liked that they were docile, i had no idea they could behave like bettas. I had told my local fish store what I had in there each time I bought anything new (most were purchased there) and no one ever said anything about having them as the majority of the fish.

Try introducing them right before you put tank to sleep , I always find there's less stress from introduction , it gives them time to settle in overnight by morning there one of the boys

75 is a good thing...
The kissing gourami still not.
He will outgrow all the others .The kissing behavior can cause issue for other fish...
Tankmates

Kissing Gouramis have been known to be quarrelsome with some species of fish and should not be kept with smaller fish. Although they can be kept in a community tank with medium to large size fish, owners should observe them closely to ensure they are not bullying other fish. Kissing Gouramis will sometimes rasp the sides of other fish, stripping them of their slime coat and potentially damaging their skin. If this occurs, it is wise to separate the fish.

Do you know if the other gouramis are pairs[m/f]?
They may keep to themselves happily,besides the lone opaline?
My bet says both dwarfs are male and only the size of tank and so many other gouramis has allowed one to survive.I have not seen females very often as they don't color up much so no one want$ them...
If it works no need to mess with it.
I feed when I add fish for a distraction.The toughest fish will definitely go for food first.

Coralbandit-
Unsure of sexes, but i believe they're all male, since they are all brightly colored. None have paired up, that i can tell... i just bought the kissing gourami today, so I may return him tomorrow. The angelfish is being left alone now, but they're bullying the powder blue dwarf now. :(

They will need time to settle their issues but taking back the kisser would be good IMO.
Re arranging tank decos can help to distract the senior fish so they don't recognize their territory so easily.
The angel should be fine as they are not such nice fish either! I breed them and they can hold their own with a gourami no prob....

Pearls were my favorite gourami and very peaceful for a gourami.Easy to sex also.
For the other gouramis sexing can be done by the dorsal fin. A male will be much longer and more flowing, some to a 'point'.The golds ,blues, and opalines won't show a color difference ...
Another very nice looking gourami is the Giant gourami [ Colisa fasciata] ,but are not seen as often.
Trichogaster fasciata (Banded Gourami) — Seriously Fish
They were the inspiration for the dwarf...

Back
Top Bottom