New Fish swimming weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ParadoxOwl

Aquarium Advice Regular
My cow-workers got me 2 goldfish for my birthday 2 weeks ago. Now, they are not very well read on how to find a healthy goldfish and I am worried about one of the two they picked up.

They got me a black moor and a calico fantail. Aside from some strange habit of trying to eat my freckles whenever i stick my arm in the tank, the fantail seems healthy enough.

My problem would be with the black moor they dubbed "Stealth". He has this strange habit of swimming vertically from time to time. He mouths at the surface, not quite gasping. He usually does this for a minute to five minutes a couple times a day, and some days not at all.

Now this tank is a 40g breeder, with only 3 fish, each very tiny. Stealth is the biggest at 2". The tank has an aerator and a 50g 200gph filter with LOTS of surface action. If it comes down to it, my friend is building a 1000g pond at his house so if i can not get a bigger tank as they grow, they will be re-homed there but for now, they are small.

What could be the cause of him swimming weird? He gets fed sinking pellets and peas (that also sink) so as to avoid any bloating.

Welcome to AA!!!

Can you please post your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph)? Water change schedule? Is the sinking food all that you are offering them? Some more information will help!

One of the things I'd do immediately is add more filtration. Although a 50 gph filter is fine on a 40B with tropical fish, it's not enough filtration for goldfish (and when all is said and done is not really filtering at max capacity). The tank needs to be filtered at 10 X tank capacity.

They get fed 2 different sinking foods, one with a little more protein and one with more veggie material, every other day they get peas, which sink, they get a veggie sticker, sometimes freeze dried shrimps, all of which sink.

Amm/Nitrite/Nitrate/- 0
Ph- 7.6

I do a water change every 3 days but only small amounts, roughly 15-20%, and this is because i gravel vacuum the bottom for any poop or food left over, though the snail tends to any uneaten food usually.

I added another filter (I had a spare from buying a tank), its another 3 layer, same brand just a 30g instead, but now my fish can't swim against the current. (I always keep a spare foam, carbon, and biomax, in moistened tank water, changing it when I change the tank water to keep them from drying out).

Did you just start this tank a few weeks ago with these guys? I am a bit concerned that you have yet to start the cycling process because there is zero nitrates.

This aside, I would start by increasing their veggie intake to daily. Make sure veggies are plain and cooked (and smooshed if needed). Peas need to be deshelled before feeding and smooshed. Have you noticed if the moors behavior coincides with meals or is it random? This will help to pinpoint if it's a dietary issue or another issue.

If the additional filtration is causing issues with swimming (it honestly should not be issue), you can baffle the intake by covering it with filter foam and make sure your tank is filled to capacity (the top) to lessen the outflow.

I have had this tank up and running for a little over a month (fish less but with old media, substrate, plants, and food droppings.) and watched it carefully as it cycled. I test my water daily, just because i am the overly paranoid fish parent, to make sure everything stays in check. Stealth also did this behavior in the main tank while their tank was cycling. I feed them the same time every day and he starts doing it at feeding time, but as soon as he sees the pellets or peas (de-shelled of course ^.^ i did my homework on that one before i started feeding them it) and he would swim down and gobble them up, like the others did, then would go back up and mouth. I tried hand feeding him more, i can actually hand feed all my main tank fish, but he just swam away.

They get a veggie sticker everyday, but Stealth doesn't seem to like it. All my other fish do but this guy. In fact i think he may have trouble seeing, how can i be sure if he does?

The fish in the 40g breeder are all so small, and i think two filters plus an aerator might be a bit much. They have a hard time getting at the food fighting the current so i slow the filters down for them. Ninja, i just measure at 3/4 of an inch, Vendetta at 1" and Stealth at 1 1/1", all from nose to butt excluding tail.(Sorry, I named all my fish). So i think the current may be a little too strong.

Oh, I also used 1/2 of the main tank water in the new tank before i added the new fish to ensure a healthy tank.

This was done in two stages. I used 10 gallons when starting it up, to help give it a kick start, then 10 gallons again after a few weeks, then 3 gallons a week before adding the fish.

Last edited:
If this floating/piping seems to be worse when he is eating, you may want to consider switching everyone to a gelfood (homemade or commercial). The other consideration here is the possibility of flukes causing the piping as there may be gill damage. All goldfish should be treated with praziquantel for a full course as most goldfish have flukes to one degree or another if they come from a commercial source (vs a private breeder). If you need help with this or just have questions, please ask! :)

I tried gel food with all my fish, none of them touched it. The snails loved it, but none of the fish.

Is there a way to be sure of it being flukes? He hasn't swam that way since early yesterday morning, and I just fed them their peas (they go nuts for those peas) and he had some trouble swimming against the current, they all did, but they got there and gobbled them up. Now they are just ... not swimming, just "sitting" there being moved by the current.

Ok, just did some research and i found Hikari Praziquantel is best, and that I can/should treat all the fish regardless of symptoms. I bought a bottle and am waiting for it to ship.

I am going to treat both tanks just to be safe.

Hikari Prazipro is simple to use and very safe. You will need to treat at dose of 5mls (1tsp) per 10g to reach a 5mg/l concentration. I believe the directions suggest 5mls per 20g (2.5mg/l). Expect to treat for atleast 3/4wks or cycle 3/1/3 or 4/1/4. I treat new fish for 4wks minimum and retreat annually there after though many goldie fanatics treat for lengthier periods of time (or cycle) and retreat biannually. Please ask if you have questions! :)

Ok, so I got my medication, and added it, and with-in 15 hours, Stealth is swimming a ton better!

I am going to treat my main tank as well because i think my Oranda, Mutant, might have flukes too cause he likes to swim in a funny way, almost somersaulting in the water.

I also order the same filter for the breeder, a 750 gph canister filter with extra floss and extra ammonia pad.

Back
Top Bottom