New fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Medicinal Loach

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am new to this app and I just wanted to get some new tank ideas. Right now I have a 40 gal tank with a flow loach, a golden dojo loach, 2 baby yoyo loaches and a pleco. I was wondering if there were any other fish that would pair well with that set up. Keep in mind I am only 14 so I have a limited budget and limited room for a tank. (I realize the fish I have need a bigger habitat, I am planning to get one once I am old enough to get my own place).

Not sure what you mean by "flow loach" maybe a hillstream loach? Loaches are schooling fish, meaning 6+ of the same species. The more you get, the more natural they act and the more they come out. The Yo-Yo loaches should be fine in that tank. The only real concern is the Pleco and what kind it is. More times than not, it's a common pleco and they can get upwards of 20". I wouldn't keep it in anything less than a 75 just for safe measures.

Do you have any pictures of your fish in the tank you can post on here?

Not sure what you mean by "flow loach" maybe a hillstream loach? Loaches are schooling fish, meaning 6+ of the same species. The more you get, the more natural they act and the more they come out. The Yo-Yo loaches should be fine in that tank. The only real concern is the Pleco and what kind it is. More times than not, it's a common pleco and they can get upwards of 20". I wouldn't keep it in anything less than a 75 just for safe measures.

Sorry, it was a typo, I meant clown loach.

The pleco is in the rightmost bottom corner.(Sorry for the bad quality.)

Attachments

• PSX_20170824_224744.jpg
    PSX_20170824_224744.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 41
Clown loaches are going to get big. They stop growing long ways and start getting beefy after awhile. So I would try to rehome him when he starts to get big.

Unfortunately, I can't see the Pleco in that picture but google "common Pleco" and see if he matches the description. If that is the case, I would also try to rehome him because they will grow to be waste machines and outgrow the tank.

After you rehome them, add on to your loach schools and try to get 5 to 6 of the same species, you won't regret it. They're fun to watch scavenge the bottom and when they bunch up, it's pretty cool. Also, it makes them feel safer when there are more of them.

You could probably even get a school of Tetras or something to fill out of the top of the aquarium and they add color to the tank! If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask away. I'm sure I won't be the only one to chime in here. Hopefully Kuhligirl will get on. She's pretty knowledgeable about loaches.

Clown loaches are going to get big. They stop growing long ways and start getting beefy after awhile. So I would try to rehome him when he starts to get big.

Unfortunately, I can't see the Pleco in that picture but google "common Pleco" and see if he matches the description. If that is the case, I would also try to rehome him because they will grow to be waste machines and outgrow the tank.

After you rehome them, add on to your loach schools and try to get 5 to 6 of the same species, you won't regret it. They're fun to watch scavenge the bottom and when they bunch up, it's pretty cool. Also, it makes them feel safer when there are more of them.

You could probably even get a school of Tetras or something to fill out of the top of the aquarium and they add color to the tank! If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask away. I'm sure I won't be the only one to chime in here. Hopefully Kuhligirl will get on. She's pretty knowledgeable about loaches.
Got it, once I can get a bigger tank ill move the clown. But until then, is there any way I can slow his growth with out harming him?

They grow pretty fast the first year or so of their lives then they slow down. If you try and stunt growth in any fish, it will kill them. 75G aquariums are the bare minimum for clown loach groups. They're in the Botia family which usually lives for longer periods of time but they're slow growers. The clown loach could reach upwards of 7 inches after his first year. My clown loach is probably 3 inches so he's still very young but you'll notice each month that he will get bigger and bigger.

Your best bet is to find a home for him while he's still small or get him an adequate tank before he reaches that year mark. If you do get a suitable tank of 75g or more, then you could a couple more and they're fun to watch in groups.

Just youtube "fully grown clown loach" and it should put some perspective on how big, not long, but big they get.

Back
Top Bottom