New fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

farma

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I went out and got a few new fish.
An Australian Rainbow, A shark and 10 neons.
Also got a nice hollow driftwood. I would be perfect for a yabby if I get one but it looks good and I thought that the neons could use it is the rainbow starts to take a liking to them :lol:
That brings my fish count to 18
Farma

a yabby/crayfish will eat your neons... so unless you bought them for food, i would not keep one in a tank with fish.

what kind of rainbow did you get? rainbows are schooling fish, so if you can fit another couple into your tank, it would be happier. if it were me, i would have gotten 3 rainbows and skipped the shark, which will likely get aggressive as it gets older.

I didn't know what a yabby was, I completely agree now that I know what it is. They should be in a tank by themselves. What kind of shark? You definately have room for a couple more rainbows.

I will try get some clear pics then you can tell me what they are called.
I just went to the lfs and asked for a rainbow and got the shark as well coz my son wanted one.
farma

I have some pics here

Attachments

• rainbow_203.jpg
    rainbow_203.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 38
  • catfish_811.jpg
    catfish_811.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 38
  • shark_669.jpg
    shark_669.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 36
Can't see the head real good but looking at the tail and fin colors, I would say that is a Tri-Color shark, commonly called Bala or Silver shark. I have one that is about 7 inches and is the most peaceful fish in my tank.

Are the Bala Sharks school fish?
I would like to get two or three more someday.
I would like to get another three Rainbows aswell.
Farma

Yes it is good to keep them in groups of three or more, but they can get up to 16 inches long and need a lot of tank, it is also not good to have sharp objects in there tank, they are a very quick fish and can hurt them selves when startled.

Back
Top Bottom