New freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ynotony

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I'm going back to fresh water from saltwater and wanted y'all's input on my stocking list and setup

75 gal tank with overflow built in.
2-3 inch gravel bed natural color( browns and such )
Going to plant background plants and a few prices of drift wood and rock piles through out.

As for fish I was going to do Amazon to Central American fish

Top dwelling
Alligator gar- juvenile-

Mid level

1- peacock bass
1-jaguar cichlid

Or a pair of oscars.....

Bottom level

Tiger shovel nose
And a couple plecos

So before y'all rip me apart on how big they get I know and have researched all these fish and have had some before.

Let me know if y'all have any suggestions or better stocking lists and setups

Not sure how u get over stocked out of 5-6 fish.......I do understand that a few of my choices get big but they will be taken care of when I can no longer manage them as a few friends have 150 gal plus tanks and would take them

What would your suggestion be if I might ask

Alligator gars turn into monsters. Gather your interest is predator fish

Having a giant tank with an alligator gar has always been my fantasy.

I love predators! That was my focus with saltwater and now I'm reverting to fresh so I plan on only a few select fish once they get to big I donate or give them away to friends.....

Personally I hate cute and the common seen fish I tend to keep the odd balls or ugly as I have been told

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Please oh please do not put an alligator gar in any tank. Living in Texas I see first hand how big they get. The Tiger Shovel Nose will turn into a monster too and needs a tank far bigger than a 75, same with Jaguar cichlids. IMO only one Oscar should live in a 75, 125 or higher would be required for two. It may be weird sounding when told you have only five fish you're overstocked but if you put even two Oscars in that tank it'd be overstocked. There's tons of other options you have with a 75 gallon!

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wild maybe......but in pet stores they are illegal to own or sell

And as for the gator gar I'm not really going of pleasing to the eye I'm going for highly predatory and it will fit in well with the mix of fish I have chosen....I may switch up my stock list a little but as far as the top dweller the gar is my main choice

I understand completely what ur saying.....when I keep fish as soon as they start getting to big I donate or give to friends who have bigger tanks than mine....

not saying dont get a Gar, heck i want one. Its the fish i try and protect the most on the river, and its the fish that I will take everything on ur boat for bow fishing. Nothing boils my blood more than to see a dead big beautiful fish just cause they think is ugly or trash. I have impounded boats for less. Yes im ur friendly Wildlife Officer

Well, if you're not saying to not get a gar then I will. They are not suited to aquarium life at all. Also, yes I have wanted one for a long time as well. Honestly this stocking list is a bad idea. You may not want to hear that bit of information but it's true.

With that, I leave this picture.

Kings-of-the-Tankbusters.jpg

Back
Top Bottom