New ghost shrimp questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Iv had some baby ghost shrimp as well. They are in full freshwater and a shrimp only tank. From my experiences and what iv read you don't have to separate the babies as long as there are no predators in the tank, and a sponge over the intake of the filter. Mine definitely went through a larval stage where they mostly float around and sometimes hang out on the glass. They are so tiny and hard to see but I was able to get a few pics with my macro lens on my camera.

I have RCS as well and those babies do not go through the same larval stage. IME. They hatch acting like tiny adults, able to swim and hang out on decorations and plants.

Both of the pics are baby ghosties.

Attachments

• image-533899020.jpg
    image-533899020.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 67
  • image-646703192.jpg
    image-646703192.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 67
They are scavengers so the algae thing may work.

Apparently, it got them through the first couple of days. Now they are bigger. They are getting live baby brine shrimp. I'm taking flake food and Hikari freeze dried brine shrimp and crush into powder and give them that too. Keeping them fed and in clean spring water and they seem to be thriving to me.

I think there's only maybe 6 or 8 in there now. It's still very hard to clean there bowl out or change water and make sure you don't suck up any babies at the same time. I would say a 5 or 10 gallon would be much better to try this in. They could probably go a couple weeks in there without needing cleaning or water change and then they'd be big enough to put back in with the others most likely.
I did a major water change in the 10 gallon the adults are in (it's not fully cycled yet) and saw a bunch of babies floating around in there too. I have a bunch of cabomba in there for them to hide in so maybe some of them will make it to adulthood.

Those in the picture are still in the larval stage. It is supposed to last less than a week, when they begin maturing, they will spend their time on the bottom of the tank. Glad to see you had some live, I am going to try this with one of my pregnant female ghosties.

Don't know what happened but it looks like I'm down to about 3 now. Lost two of the adults over the last couple of days too.

Back
Top Bottom