New Glofish having seizures?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blu3Shyft

Aquarium Advice Regular
GloFish seizures? - YouTube

Just got these guys last night, spent time to acclimate and everything. We HAD 2 of each color of the glofish. I found 1 green one dead this morning, and now both of the orange ones are doing this drift and spaz thing. What's going on? Should I take them back? Everybody else bought at the same time and added to the tank at the same time seem happy and healthy.

What's the temp of the tank? And the Amina,nitrite,nitrate and ph?

From the video, it appears you have the tetra type of Glofish. While they are fairly adaptable, tetras are not normally kept in water with pH as high as yours is. They prefer it around 7 or less. Some species are said to be ok up to about 7.5, but there's a huge difference between 7.5 and 8, because the pH scale is exponential. Each number is ten times higher than the one below it, or vice versa.

I think the fish are having a difficult time adjusting to what I suspect is both hard and alkaline water. Have you tested for GH and KH ? This would tell you how hard your water is. Though if the kettle or coffee maker get lots of scale buildup, that's hard water for sure, and most tetra species are happier in softer, acidic or neutral pH water.

Thank you for the reply. As I said, the other tetras are still doing fine. When I showed the video to the lady at Petsmart, she said she recognized it as a dominance/mating display. Either way, I ended up exchanging the weird ones and the dead one for 3 new ones, and I exchanged the Clown Pleco we got for 2 otos and a Nerita snail with stripes.

I think you'll be happier with the new additions.

Dominance is one thing I didn't think of. I don't keep tetras, so I don't think I've ever seen a dominance display in a tetra before. But I have Pencil fish who do a dominance display that's really interesting. They glow bright red on the fins and belly, like they're lit from inside.

First time I saw it though, it sure worried me for awhile, until I realized it was the males who were doing the behaviours, which was the clue I needed to figure out what was going on.

I was thinking it might be mating but my tetras always do that ove leaves and stuff

I was thinking it might be mating but my tetras always do that ove leaves and stuff

I think they were doing it everywhere because the target kept moving along without them. "Hey! Watch me! Awwww. Hey come back! Hey! Watch me! awwww.

Back
Top Bottom