New member and beginner with a 10 gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey, I just got a 10 gallon aquarium about two weeks ago and love it!!! I have it fully stocked with 2 Cory cats- panda and peppered, 1 fancy orange guppy, and 3 tetras (serprae, long finned, and pelpric). Any suggestions would b helpful but I guess I'm wondering if I can get anymore fish or if this is a good combo of fish? Sorry for the names of the tetras, not sure if there correct, but there close!

2weeks ago, im guessing you didnt cycle your tank first then? You WILL have problems with ammonia and nitrites with a fully stocked 2week old tank. You need to do water changes everyday to keep on top of it, otherwise you will lose your fish. No its not a good combination of fish, really tetra should be kept in groups of 5+ of the same species for them to relax and see their natural behavior. Your cories also need to be kept in groups.

Its a shame you didnt find the forum before you set up the tank and bought your fish but late is better than never.

Do you have a water testing kit? Theyre essential

Thnx for the advice! I have a 29 gallon also that I am going to transfer them into so I will make sure to get more of each species. No I don't have a water testing kit but I will definitely get one! Are they easy to use?

Yes theyre easy to use. I recommend the api freshwater master liquid test theyre great. Try to avoid test strips because they can be inaccurate.

How often are you doing water changes and how much?

If you dont have a test kit. Id suggest you do a 50% water change now/asap and another tomorrow. Ammonia is horrible stuff and even alittle will effect and stress your fish, it wont take much to kill them all. Especially in your case, a 10gallon stocked uncycled tank is a scary thought with such little water it will foul very quickly.

I've been doing 25% water changes every two days or so. I will start doing 50 % changes! Thnx for all the advice. I will take it n run with it!!!

Kool. Glad to help. Just keep the changes regular until you can get a test kit, then youll know how much ammonia and nitrite you have in the water and youll be able to adjust your water changes to your reading to keep it 'safer' for the fish. Once your tank cycles which could take awhile, youll be able to cut back on the water changes and the % you change.

Any questions just ask, most of the people here on AA will be more than willing to help and most know what theyre talking about.

Do you understand and know how the nitrogen cycle works? If not id do alittle reasearch on it. It may seem complicated but its quite simple.

Thnx molliwopp for all of the great advice!!! If nebody else has ne suggestions on nething please tell.

Back
Top Bottom