New Need a little help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry it's such a hassle :(

When you do get the right stuff, there's no calc to help you determine how much to add, since different bottles have different % concentrations. Mine (50 gall) took 50mL of ammonia to reach 4ppm. If I were you, I'd probably start around 25mL, test, and keep working your way up. You're probably okay starting higher than 25, but I'd hate to put too much in on just the first dose (would then require a water change to reduce). That first day of adding ammonia can be tedious, since you'll continuously add/test/rinse/dry/add/test/rinse/dry etc. :p Once you get the measurement, you're good to go though.

Thanks everybody. As of now I have three pieces of shrimp rotting away. I had another question maybe someone could help with. If I was going to get plants now would keeping the light on without the tank cycled start to cause an algae bloom being I would have to keep the light on for like 8 hours? I have T5 and 2 Marine-Glo 54W each. 108 total. If it would not cause a bloom how long should the lights be left on for the plants? It is a 55 gallon tank. As of today my readings were.
High Range PH 8.2
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 ppm
Temp is 80

I got some Ammonia. I am going to dose the tank up to 4ppm. That is correct right?

I will start tonight when I get of work. I took the shrimp out last night. That is a hard way to go. I hope this way goes better...

I think you'll find this much easier. Just remember to start with a smallish ammount, test, add more, test, etc. Always use a dry test tube (I twist paper towels and stick them inside to dry them if I've already used all 4) and dry cap. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the tips. I will keep you posted on how things turn out...

10 ml of 10% ammonia (like that from ACe hardware) will give you 4 ppm in a 55 gallon. That is what I used.

You can use a a 10 ml syringe like the ones for used for giving infants medicine by mouth. Available at CVS or Walgeens.

Thanks. How long after dosing the ammonia do I wait to get the readings? 1/2 hour, 1 hour, etc.??

rotorhead22- Thanks! You were right on the money with your measurements.
librarygirl- Wait 24 hrs and check the reading again? Correct?

Ok. Just took my readings and here are the results. It has been about a week and a half since I started cycling. I was using dead shrimp to start with and just yesterday started using pure ammonia. Last night I put in 4ppm and this is the results.. I am using seeded material. Should I does the ammonia back up to 4ppm???

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 40
Yes, your tank should be able to convert 4 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours. Looks like you are at .25 ppm. I was stuck there for a while and judging from other posts, that is normal. I have some plots on my posts.
Your trites look good as do the trates. Dose back up to 4ppm and check back after 24 hrs.

I'm glad the ammonia is working out! Still watching out for ya :) That's great that it went down to .25ppm from 4ppm overnight - it's a sign that your shrimp method was indeed working a bit! In my opinion, this will be much faster. Good progress!

Thanks a lot this way is a lot easier and a lot less smelly. We will see what tomorrow brings...

Back
Top Bottom