New New New

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stepho725

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I have a 29 gal which I started up about two months ago and just finished stocking tonight. Now that I've added my last three fish I'm having a mini panic attack that maybe the fish I added are going to kill my water quality and thus.kill all my fish?!
I had two neon tetras and two 2" Opaline gouramis before adding tonight a German blue ram cichlid, a flame dwarf gourami, and a little teeny bristlenose Pleco. Also have a snail and a bamboo shrimp.
Eeeek! I'm scared!!! Will they all be okay together? I wanted a couple more tetras to school but my boyfriend really wanted the flame gourami. Also have a piece of wood in there that is turning things a bit brown - is this bad??

stepho725 said:
Okay so I have a 29 gal which I started up about two months ago and just finished stocking tonight. Now that I've added my last three fish I'm having a mini panic attack that maybe the fish I added are going to kill my water quality and thus.kill all my fish?!
I had two neon tetras and two 2" Opaline gouramis before adding tonight a German blue ram cichlid, a flame dwarf gourami, and a little teeny bristlenose Pleco. Also have a snail and a bamboo shrimp.
Eeeek! I'm scared!!! Will they all be okay together? I wanted a couple more tetras to school but my boyfriend really wanted the flame gourami. Also have a piece of wood in there that is turning things a bit brown - is this bad??

Hi
The three gourami may have problems, but each gourami is an individual. Generally, a dwarf wants ten gallons for its territory, for example. They also become more aggressive if they are breeding.
The neon tetra would be more confident and happy in a school.
So my thought is to remove the blue gourami, and add more neons.
I am a fan of every fish you listed!
The wood leeching tannins is fine. It will get better over time. If you dislike it, there are steps you can take to decrease them.

I need to buy a testing kit - not sure what the parameters are. Just have been getting it tested at Petco on the strips and they said everything was normal except slightly low PH. Will go get it tested again in a few days - or buy a test kit but even when I do it will be online so a couple days to get it. Should I get strips or liquid tests?
By the way - I have three gouramis all together. Two Opaline and a flame dwarf. So far they have been in for about two hours and all is well except the pleco is going a bit nutty round n round the tank.

Ok. :)

With my opaline pair one got mean once they were big, but were ok until then.

Liquid tests are more accurate. The API Master Test Kit runs about $30 and is highly recommended.

The pleco might be looking for cover. I keep BNs. They are awesome!

Ah yes - he could be looking for cover as he had tried going into the log and was scared by the shrimp! Do you think I'm done stocking or could I add a couple tetras next month to make a small school?
And I will look for the API kit ASAP!

P.s. I think both of my Opaline are females so what do u think? Still gonna get territorial?

Back
Top Bottom