New Pond-stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youngster

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a pond that has no fish, that I want to add fish to. I think it's 100 gallons, but I'm not sure. It is 7ft long, and then it has sort of a strange shape. it is sort of like a figure eight, but wider in the middle. the bottom loop is 3 ft wide, the middle is 1.5 ft, the the top loop is 2 ft wide. If you know how many gallons it is, then let me know. Oh and it's 2.5 ft deep. I was hoping I could add some koi and comet goldfish

With those odd dimensions and the shape, I think calculations of volume are going to be really difficult.

Is it empty?

Could you empty it if it isn't?

Then you could just count the number of 5 gallon buckets it takes to fill it. A bit of work, I know, but at least it should be pretty accurate.

It's definitely too small for koi. You may get away with a couple of comets but I'd be hesitant because of the small water volume. If you can overwinter the fish inside you may want to go with fancy goldfish instead.

Is 100 gallons too small for koi? And I wouldn't be able to overwinter them inside, but I have pretty mild winters where I live

In addition to comet goldfish, shubunkin goldfish are also good pond fish, and are about the same size as comets (growing to about a foot). Common goldfish might be a bit too big for a small pond as they can get a good bit bigger than either comets or shubunkins. Koi can get to be about three feet!

If you would like more than 1or2 fish in something @ 100 gal. then as jetajockey suggested fancies would be the way to go. Ideally in something of that size you could have up to 5 fancy type goldies comfortably.

Back
Top Bottom