New puffer wont eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all well I got my porcupine puffer yesterday . I tried hikari frozen krill, mysis shrimp and squid but no luck yet . He us just goin a mile a minute back and forth. Should I get real shrimp from the supermarket ?

I'm not sure about food but IME sometimes my fish just need to relax and get comfortable in the tank and then they will eat. Also you could ask your lfs what they were feeding it

I did that I told them what I got in my freezer they said all of the above lol. I just don't want to stress him when I take the food out

Give him some time. As long as he's healthy, he'll eventually eat. It might take days or even a week or more. The foods you have tried are all fine- in fact they're probably better for the puffer than 'real' shrimp because they appear more like what they would encounter in the wild. One more thing you can try are raw clams on the half shell. They sell them frozen at the lfs or in the supermarket. You could also just buy live clams and open them yourself. You would just throw them into the tank, and the fish will remove it from the shell.

Ok i have had brackish puffers before so I was pretty sure the food was good just wanted to be safe tho. I just remember my brackish puffers were all about some food so I figure sw puffer is gonna be a pig too

Really guy how do you know the tank didn't finish cycling? You just assume it's not. Find something better to do than try to call people out. He is in there and eating now and doing fine

Actually a 75 gallon isn't torture. It is within the recommended range for the fish. He will be happy as long as he isn't crowded with tons of other fish. He will have a long healthy life. I have not had SW for as Long as some of you but I do know lots of people who have personally. And I know personally someone who had one of these puffers in a 75 for almost 6 years. And it died because the tank shattered when my uncle was at work and he had no idea.

He's saying putting a fish through a cycle is torture, assuming it hasn't yet cycled (even though he's wrong, since the tank is cycled).

We went into our lfs the other week and spotted a very unhappy porcupine puffer sat motionless in the corner of his tank. We told the owner about him and he just said "he's fine, just sulking. He won't eat for about a week either. Sometimes you just have to starve them out."
To be honest, I didn't believe him. It looked like one seriously I'll puffer. W went back the next week and he was swimming around, curious about everything and checking us out :) so the answer just seems to be to just wait it out. He's probably just a bit stressed from the move, but when he's hungry enough he'll eat :)
And on the subject of porcupine puffer size. I've just read an article in practical fish keeping magazine about tankbuster marines. Porcupine puffers are included because they can get to 91cm. That's about 3 foot. If you were to stand it with it's tail to the floor, it's head would reach to your waist. That's one huge fish!

Fishies86 said:
We went into our lfs the other week and spotted a very unhappy porcupine puffer sat motionless in the corner of his tank. We told the owner about him and he just said "he's fine, just sulking. He won't eat for about a week either. Sometimes you just have to starve them out."
To be honest, I didn't believe him. It looked like one seriously I'll puffer. W went back the next week and he was swimming around, curious about everything and checking us out :) so the answer just seems to be to just wait it out. He's probably just a bit stressed from the move, but when he's hungry enough he'll eat :)
And on the subject of porcupine puffer size. I've just read an article in practical fish keeping magazine about tankbuster marines. Porcupine puffers are included because they can get to 91cm. That's about 3 foot. If you were to stand it with it's tail to the floor, it's head would reach to your waist. That's one huge fish!

I think ur thinking of Diodon hystrix. Which is often times called porcupine puffer or spot-fin porcupine puffer and they do get huge. I've seen ones 3-4ft in the Bahamas.
Hopefully what the op has is Diodon holocanthus. Which is much smaller and only gets to about 1ft. But is still refered to as porcupine puffer.

Pufferpedia lists Diodon holocanthus(porcupine) as needing a minimum of 120 us gallons.

Im no expert and have no experience with these but in the past ive known thepufferforum to be fairly good, So I thought Id share what theyre reccomendations are.

I think the lfs only gave him brine shrimp. He will eat that with no problem. The other stuff he will eat some but he won't devour it yet like the brine

Really guy how do you know the tank didn't finish cycling? You just assume it's not. Find something better to do than try to call people out. He is in there and eating now and doing fine

Yeah!! Really pal. I didn't have to look hard in your previous posts to see that you just set up your first saltwater tank less than 2 weeks ago, so stop lying. The fish is too small for that tank and your tank is not cycled. Stop pretending to try and save face.

And NO, a 75 Gallon Tank is NOT big enough for a Porcupline Puffer. I don't care what you saw or what they had.

You left all the details out to ask the question, "Hmmm, me wonder why me new puffer not eating???" Well, I did my homework and found out why. You're welcome. Take the fish back. :banghead:

Thanks t j and to the other guy the tank had fw fish in it for 2 years with the filters that are on it now. Add the live rock and all the seeded bio material from my other tanks and it's going to cycle faster. Find something better to do with your time than to follow all my posts .

All I will say is that here we are supposed to help each other.

Im sure we will never see that guy again.. some poeple just enjoy trolling... have nothing better to do.

I didnt want all that to happen. I just wanted to make sure I was feeding the right stuff. I shouldn't of even responded to him but just can't stand when people do that. He isn't the one testing my water how can he assume he knows.

Back
Top Bottom