New...question about ML Reef Ready LEDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsgracia

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone! I currently own a FW tank and is in the works of planning a SW tank in the 75-100 gal range maybe even 120 but we'll see. Anyway, I was doing some searching and reading and came across these ML LED lights that says they are reef ready. Question: what corals can these lights support? Thanks in advance!

I think you're going to have a tough time getting a good answer to that question. Those lights *just* came out, and even if someone bought them the day they came out, there's no way they've had them long enough to really know how well the corals are going to do, long term.

Thanks for the reply. I do like the looks of them. I try to look at their website but it doesn't say what it would support. I guess I will ask again down the road when I'm closing in to starting.

I was tempted to buy them myself, but couldn't let myself spend that kind of money on something I couldn't get answers for. If they were 3 watt LED's instead of the 1 watts it's got, I'd have gotten it.

Doing a little research, I ran in to this quote from a retailer's (not Marineland's) website:

"The Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System 36-48" has the equivalent output of a 36" 2 lamp T5 HO..."

That interesting, because that's about what I'd guessed in looking at different designs out there, and the pricing of the ML fixture. I'd assumed these new ML "reef capable" systems weren't as strong as the 6-bulb T5 HO fixtures, but probably better than a PC or 2-bulb T5 HO.

itsgracia.... you might keep you eyes on the just-released Current TruLumen PRO led strips. These look like an interesting idea, depending on the pricing. You can use them to supplement an existing fixture - in fact, Current's website shows them being added to a ML reef-capable fixture! Or you can gut out an existing fixture and put however many you want in, depending on how much light you want. I have a PC fixture, and am perfectly happy with the amount of light I have and don't really want to mess things up by pumping way more light into my tank. But I would like the advantages of LED (lower power consumption, no bulb changes, no heat). So I'm keeping my ears open about these new Current strips...

That's why I wanted LEDs. I really like the fact that they are energy efficient, no changing bulbs for a log whole, and they don't put out heat. I guess I'm just gonna keep looking around.

Everything I have read about diy led fixtures seem to have alot of heat sinks and heat related design. From what I gather they do produce quite a bit of heat, just a lot less than mh. I don't know much about led though, just my observation.

i can see them producing some heat at the bulb but i cant' see the heat spreading out like it does with an MH. unlike any other bulbs LEDs don't have a gas in them that requires heating to lighten up.

it is the resistance in each bulb that causes heat which is a measure of watts AKA true power which is a conversion of electrical energy into heat. the heat is mostlikly from the LED drivers or a flaw in the electrical connections(undersized wiring) rather then the 1 watt LED bulbs.

i would look into a 6foot long tank then you can house the wonderful blue tangs that very one wants and if you have little ones it'll be like finding nemo for them, dori, nemo and marlon

all i have to say on that ML fixture is im weary, ive said it a few times on here about it, because it just doesnt seem right, or powerful enough to support a reef.

it just seems like a large company is trying to get in on the future of aquariums, but mostly trying to make money and cutting corners

Back
Top Bottom