New Reef Tank - Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me too a big tank must be great x

It all depends on what you're willing to invest in your tank time wise. Some people with the HUGE tanks spend an hour daily maintaining them. Not to mention the cost of maintaining large tanks.

Time is not a problem! Work 5 days 9 hours but the money a large tank costs is phenomenal

Another fish to consider would be the fire fish their optimal tank size is 10 gallons,they are peaceful and would get along with your clowns.I am going for a pair of purple fire fish because they are purple and will be very happy in my 45g.:D

Attachments

• Nemateleotris_decora.jpg
    Nemateleotris_decora.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 102
Another fish to consider would be the fire fish their optimal tank size is 10 gallons,they are peaceful and would get along with your clowns.I am going for a pair of purple fire fish because they are purple and will be very happy in my 45g.:D

Looks amazing! Just hope you can get them in England!!

Okay sometimes research can make your head explode because there is advice and research that is contradictory.yes Live Aquaria recommends at least 70g for a flame angel but another aquarium site I trust said 60g and this site said a minimum of 30g.So maybe someone on the site that has successful housed a flame angel would be a better authority on whether or not you could get the Flame Angel and if they say yes then I may be changing my stocking plan because, like you, flame angels are one of my absolute favorites.:banghead:

Okay sometimes research can make your head explode because there is advice and research that is contradictory.yes Live Aquaria recommends at least 70g for a flame angel but another aquarium site I trust said 60g and this site said a minimum of 30g.So maybe someone on the site that has successful housed a flame angel would be a better authority on whether or not you could get the Flame Angel and if they say yes then I may be changing my stocking plan because, like you, flame angels are one of my absolute favorites.:banghead:

This is amazing news!!!!!

It is honestly one of my favourite marine fish! If I can have one I will be over the moon :D

It's common for sites to have completely contradicting information for stocking levels in tanks. But keep in mind that anyone can type in a "recommended" tank size for a fish. Due to angels being territorial and somewhat aggressive fish I wouldn't try anything less than a 4ft long tank which is a 55g. Live aquaria is pretty much the authority on stocking fish so it's safe to take their stocking suggestions to heart although sometimes they can give suggestions that are a little high.

Terrible news guys!

Just had a really really good stare at the clowns and I'm sure this one has white spot...

Next course of action please? :(

It's my first fish and only had it several hours... Shall I take it back to the LFS? Or is there a method or getting rid of it

Forgot the pic

Attachments

• image-289360263.jpg
    image-289360263.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 115
That's actually what happened to me with my first tank but sadly I stocked up on corals and inverts before the ich hit.

You have a couple things you could do.

1. Return any inverts and the piece of live rock you have with the coral growing on it (assuming you care if it lives or not) and perform a hyposalinity treatment on the entire tank.

2. Setup a second tank that you can keep the inverts and live rock in for 6 weeks straight without any fish while you do a 6 week hyposalinity treatment on the DT

3. Return the inverts and coral and treat the tank with a medication.

If you are sure that the fish has ich then there is really no way to know if your tank is going to be ich free or not a month or two down the road as one of the cysts might have already fallen off of the fish. Hyposalinity is the best way to treat ich but it has the downside of killing any corals or inverts. Here is a link to an article about treating it.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

I'm going to take both the fish back tomorrow and just pray the ich hasn't spread to my tank... After all it has only been there for several hours. It seems lively and is not breathing abnormally so I may just have to hope for the best :(

That's actually what happened to me with my first tank but sadly I stocked up on corals and inverts before the ich hit.

1. Return any inverts and the piece of live rock you have with the coral growing on it (assuming you care if it lives or not) and perform a hyposalinity treatment on the entire tank.

2. Setup a second tank that you can keep the inverts and live rock in for 6 weeks straight without any fish while you do a 6 week hyposalinity treatment on the DT

If you are sure that the fish has ich then there is really no way to know if your tank is going to be ich free or not a month or two down the road as one of the cysts might have already fallen off of the fish. Hyposalinity is the best way to treat ich but it has the downside of killing any corals or inverts. Here is a link to an article about treating it.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Or do the opposite of #2 and setup a second tank for the clowns that you can run at hypo salinity for 6 weeks while the dt sits fish less for those 6 weeks to kill the ich.

Or do the opposite of #2 and setup a second tank for the clowns that you can run at hypo salinity for 6 weeks while the dt sits fish less for those 6 weeks to kill the ich.

Also a good option. It's less painful to look at a tank without inverts for 6 weeks rather than a tank without fish for 6 weeks though :) mine was 5 weeks old when I had to deal with ich :(

what is a hyposalinity treatment?

Lowering salt levels and keeping it there to kill it off

I'm going to take both the fish back tomorrow and just pray the ich hasn't spread to my tank... After all it has only been there for several hours. It seems lively and is not breathing abnormally so I may just have to hope for the best :(

That will possibly be enough but keep in mind.. all it takes is one single parasite to drop off. In the future ALWAYS QT your fish before putting them in the tank. Even if its your very first fish.

I will have to sort a QT tank... What size do you think would be adequate?

Back
Top Bottom