New reef tank with hole in overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cainboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm a new member here, but been reading for awhile as guest. Lots of good info to be read.
Just recently I've purchased a 175 oceanic bow front reef ready tank. Unfortunately one of the plastic overflows had a 1.5" round hole cut out in it, about 10" up from the bottom of tank. I've emailed Oceanic about getting a replacement overflow, but they said they no longer have them. :(
Would anybody know where I could purchase one? Or possibly a way of just sealing up this hole? Any help would much be appreciated. I will post a picture of it shortly. Thanks!! Great place!(y)

Attachments

• 20130205_131728.jpg
    20130205_131728.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 120
Picture attached. Thanks, but its not the bulkhead.

Does your out flow from pump run up thru the over flow if so you could use that hole as an additional out flow by putting a tee in and plumbing it in with a bulkhead fitting

Does your out flow from pump run up thru the over flow if so you could use that hole as an additional out flow by putting a tee in and plumbing it in with a bulkhead fitting

I don't have any plumbing hooked up yet. There are 2 of overflows on my tank. 2 holes are drilled at the bottom of each overflow. Hope that answers your question. I'm fairly new to all of this. Thanks.

That is where your water goes in to the overflow.. Not sure why they cut a hole in it... As long as there is a back wall behind it.. Looks like it in the picture.. You will be ok if you dont mind there being a hole... You could maybe find a black aquarium apoxy to just fill it in flat.. But the whole does not hurt the performance.. I wouldnt believe.besides you might loose a few fish to your sump... . The 2 holes behind them,, one is for the overflow pipe,, and one is a return,, wish i could send you a picture.. But i dont have one.. Im sure if you go into google and search aquarium overflow system. You will find something that will explain it more in depth for you.. It is very easy to hook up and operate.

Did the tank come with any pvc plumbing?

The previous owner had this tank setup for his turtle. :facepalm: He had it plumbed for that. Only 12 inches of water in it. I think most of the stuff is here to return it back to reef tank. Unfortunately it has that hole in it. I was thinking a small piece of plexiglass siliconed over the opening?

This is what i'm working with....

Attachments

• 20130205_145407.jpg
    20130205_145407.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 20130205_145413.jpg
    20130205_145413.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 20130205_145421.jpg
    20130205_145421.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 105
Yes. As long as you can get a seal.. But look behind the tank to see if he cut another hole at the bottom.. Sounds like the home was there to overflow water no higher than that level.. If there are two layers of black plastic he might have cut 2 holes.. If so patch both holes.. You will need to buy 2 bulkheads for eacc side. One 1" and 1- 1/2 ". Then you may just go to your lps and order an overflow PVC system to go behind the overflows

The previous owner had this tank setup for his turtle. :facepalm: He had it plumbed for that. Only 12 inches of water in it. I think most of the stuff is here to return it back to reef tank. Unfortunately it has that hole in it. I was thinking a small piece of plexiglass siliconed over the opening?

Just seen the other pictures.. Hit me up on private message.. I can't do it from my phone.. I'll send ya my number or send me yours I can text faster if you need more help

It's a crude drawing but you'll get an idea of what I'm saying and if you have two overflows than you just double it and plumb them in together. Anti siphon valve would be extremely important in case of power outage

Attachments

• image-3410763904.jpg
    image-3410763904.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 111
Godfrey said:

That could make back siphon issues. I know their are ways around that but beginners can get over their heads pretty fast. Sealing it up or putting a bulkhead and a plug are the safest options. Doing that, then plumbing the tank as it was designed to be, is the way to go.

Having said that, this setup is a pretty sweet find. There are lots of things a tank this nice could be used for. If it's going to be saltwater then getting a good book is the best first step you can take. There are a lot of tank, filtration and pluming parts that are explained, with photos, in any decent aquarium guide. We'll still answer questions and problem solve right here. The thing is, saltwater is expensive. The cost of a book or two is cheaper than just about anything else.

another inside view of tank.

Attachments

• 20130205_152723.jpg
    20130205_152723.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 71
I would use some aquarium silicone and a piece of plastic. Easy fix.

There are two layers of plastic with a air space in between. The hole was cut through both layers of plastic. Suppose each hole needs sealed up individually or don't worry about that?

It's a crude drawing but you'll get an idea of what I'm saying and if you have two overflows than you just double it and plumb them in together. Anti siphon valve would be extremely important in case of power outage

Thanks, that gives me a general idea. Although I have two overflows with a external pump. As you can probably tell, this is my first big marine tank and I have no experience. The plumbing will need to be all rearranged and i'm not sure the correct procedure.

Seal up both. Looks like you have the return lines. Seal them up and you will be all set!

That could make back siphon issues. I know their are ways around that but beginners can get over their heads pretty fast. Sealing it up or putting a bulkhead and a plug are the safest options. Doing that, then plumbing the tank as it was designed to be, is the way to go.

Having said that, this setup is a pretty sweet find. There are lots of things a tank this nice could be used for. If it's going to be saltwater then getting a good book is the best first step you can take. There are a lot of tank, filtration and pluming parts that are explained, with photos, in any decent aquarium guide. We'll still answer questions and problem solve right here. The thing is, saltwater is expensive. The cost of a book or two is cheaper than just about anything else.

I agree that anyone in this hobby could get I over their head very quickly, but back siphoning is solved by anti siphon valve and the height of the over flow tube. Which ever way you go with it there could be issues if the plug and silicone leaked over time the tank could drain into the sump. And to the added benefit you would have water flow coming in high and low in tank

Back
Top Bottom