new sand..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edward198

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just changed out my gravel for black sand.. looks great! Might share pics tomorrow!

Was just wondering.. I read online that a lot of people have had air pockets in there sand and it has led to there tank beginning to smell really bad.. is there any way I can prevent this from occurring?

My tank is 15 g and my substrate is about 2 inches deep on average maybe 1.5 inch or 2.5 inch in places :) thanks

Those air pockets can be bad for the fish as well. You will want to rake your fingers through it once in a while to make sure that there are no air pockets.. I do this once a week whenever I do water changes. :)

Those air pockets usually only happen if the substrate is really deep, like 4+ inches, from what I have heard.

If you are concerned, you can get some MTS's to help stir up the substrate for you, or you can rake through it yourself with a fork.

Depends on the type of sand and how deep. The deeper it is, the worse the bubbles. Once a month or so just stir up the sand a bit, make sure there is no buildup. Easy peasy.

Back
Top Bottom