New Serpae Tetra's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewFish1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has finally cycled so yesterday I purchased 3 Serpae Tetra's on the recommendation of my LFS (Jack's Aquarium) to add to my 28 gallon tank. I have had three Zebra Danio's in the tank for the last 5 weeks. Here's my question: Why are my three Tetra's always hiding? I think I've only seem them out a total of three times since yesterday and even then it was a very short time of being able to see them! Are they just shy fish? Just curious.:fish2:

Mike

the tetra's are schooling fish and only feel comfortable when you have at least 5-6. three isn't enough. more than 6 is even better. however since your tank has just cycled you don't want to put a large load (too many fish) at one time. it will over power your good bacteria and cause a dangerous rise in your ammonia. i'd wait at least a week (checking your water parameters every day with liquid tests not strips. if you don't have your own test kit get one asap. you need to be able to test at home and not at the pet store. petsmart uses test strips to test water and they just aren't as accurate as liquid testing. so after you test for 1 week and all your numbers are holding 0ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 40 or below nitrates add the other 3 tetra's. they should have told you they are schooling fish at the pet store but honestly you have to do your own research just google serae tetra's and you can get all the info you need. imo it's always better to research a fish you're interested in BEFORE you go to the store. that way there's less of a chance of impulse buying and ending up with a fish that isn't suitable for your aquarium. knowledge is power in everything including fish keeping. good luck. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom