New setup ?s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigsho

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been researching for a while and I am gonna get started on a tank for my kids soon just wondered if what I have in my head sounds ok. 45 gallon tank 36" wide was gonna go with an aquaclear 70 hob. Ive read hob and canister is just a matter of preference, but also sometimes in tanks around 50 gallons can have dead spots and require a powerhead to ensure the water is being circulated enough to filter it efficiently unlike canisters that can direct the return water. Is there any truth to this? I was planning on doing a fish in cycle (I already know this is not the most popular, but I have a 3 and a 6 yr old that will be bugging me to have fish in the tank. I was planning on a lightly planted tank, several pieces of java moss on driftwood from the lfs. I was planning on starting with either 5-6 tetras or danios until the tank is cycled. I intend on doing twice weekly pwc's as well as teting 2x daily. I would love to hear any and all suggestions as far as anything I'm missing or you think would help. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you've thought about all the important stuff. Have you read this article?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

If you want to grow plants, start with a good light. A water changer like the Python or Aqueon will save your life. If you can get some used filter media from an established tank it will help a lot. Every time you add fish, research theit adult size, behavior and tank requirements.

Good luck!

Yes I have read as much as I can and am in no hurry to add any other fish until the tank is cycled and will definitely keep mature size in mind when considering the rrest of stocking. Also definitely getting the pythonn system to start. my biggest concern is the filter ?s. Also the filter squeezings was gonna talk to the lfs and check with them as I have no other source unless anyone from southern nj wants to donate..Thanks

also would 2 hob's be more beneficial and if so what sizes?:fish2:

I used to run two TetraFin40 HOB's on my 55g tank.
I switched to a Fluval405 canister.

They both do their jobs just fine, but I find the canister to be MUCH quieter if that's any concern. (Especially as the water level drops a bit.)
The canister is also easier long term... the bio-media lasts more-or-less forever... the filter media can be pretty much whatever you want, (floss, sponge, charcoal, nothing... ) beats having to buy manufactured "cartridges" every time you want to replace the filter media. (IMO)

As for circulation, more is generally better :) ... though I've never had an issue with "dead spots" in any of my tanks... each with only one filter and no powerheads.

2 HOB's will circulate a little more, if that's still a concern for you... but the REAL benefit is having a backup already in place if one dies! (Clogged intake, broken impeller, miscellaneous failure.)

I too suggest a Fluval 406 cansiter filter for that size tank. I also use a Aqueon Water Changer and it works like a charm, you'll be glad you add a water changer to your list.
For lighting I would suggest you look into a 2 bulb T5HO fixture to give you alittle more choice in plants. Easy plants would be Water sprite or wisteria, swords, crypts, Vallisneria, Dwarf Sagittaria, and stem plants like Ambulia, Anarcharis, just to name a couple. Plus you already know about moss on DW but you can also add Anubias or Java Fern on DW also. The advantage to using easy numerous plants is not only will the tank look natural but the plants will help improve water quality. Also it is easier to do 1- 50% weekly WC.

I wouldn't put in any fish quite yet, I know your kids are bugging you about it, but I am sure that if you put fish in there now they are going to die. Another thing is how long have you had you tank running? I would wait a couple weeks until you put anything fish wise in there. I know your kids are bugging you but it would be worse in a week when your kids are crying that the fish died.

No fish I haven't filled it yet still waiting to buy a filter I like the idea of maintaining a hob vs a canister. I've just found a co worker thats willing to donate some filter media for a tank he's had running successfully for 2 years, so gonna wait till I can get that up and running and levels are good. I didn't mean adding fish the next day.

I love my new fluval 406 canister versus my HOB. Quieter, easier. BTW, they are way cheaper online.

Back
Top Bottom