New setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbjfan75

Aquarium Advice Regular
Was given a tank and inherited the fish he had. The tank included "full setup" but nothing with it was very functional so we started with all fresh hardware. Having said all this, means we weren't able to run a fishless cycle. At this point should I be testing daily and doing large water changes?
View attachment 298547
IMG_1806.jpg

Was given a tank and inherited the fish he had. The tank included "full setup" but nothing with it was very functional so we started with all fresh hardware. Having said all this, means we weren't able to run a fishless cycle. At this point should I be testing daily and doing large water changes?
View attachment 298547
View attachment 298548

Sorry, the first picture is our tap water test.

In the tank results before a 50% pwc this morning
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 4
Nitrate 40

Yes, frequent water changes, have been told you can do them every 4hrs in a emergency. You have an emergency, those #'s very dangerous for fish.

Do you have seachem Prime water conditioner, will detoxify a certain amount of ammonia and nitrites. You want your ammonia and nitrites as low as possible during a fish-in cycle, just leaving enough to feed the growing bacteria. So do frequent water changes and dose with prime to detoxify the rest.

Many say if >.25 ammonia and nitrites do water changes but if you can get nitrites to 0.5 would be a great improvement.

50pwc cuts parameters in half so on and so forth. So let your reading determine frequency and percentage.

If those swords are real...I cant tell. Youll want them in background.

50pwc cuts parameters in half so on and so forth. So let your reading determine frequency and percentage.

If those swords are real...I cant tell. Youll want them in background.

Yes, they're real. I know eventually they will need to move towards the back.

Might wanna do it now they get serious roots but up to you.

Update. Wasn't able to get to a second water change yesterday, so I tested first thing this morning.

Ammonia was 0
Nitrites were down to 3
Nitrates were down to 20.

Did the water change as shown and moved the plants around some. Will test again this evening.

IMG_1813.jpgIMG_1815.jpg

On a better note, the 15g that for set up as a holder for these fish had really good numbers this morning.

Update. Wasn't able to get to a second water change yesterday, so I tested first thing this morning.

Ammonia was 0
Nitrites were down to 3
Nitrates were down to 20.

Did the water change as shown and moved the plants around some. Will test again this evening.

View attachment 298570View attachment 298571

On a better note, the 15g that for set up as a holder for these fish had really good numbers this morning.
? Why is tank half filled with water?
Are you doing a fish-in cycle, if so keeping the tank full will lower bad nitrites?

? Why is tank half filled with water?
Are you doing a fish-in cycle, if so keeping the tank full will lower bad nitrites?

That was in the middle of the water change? Showing what % of it was changed

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom