New snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaisyWife

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just added 4 apple snails to my tank. This is my first time with snails. Is there anything I should know?

Just added 4 apple snails to my tank. This is my first time with snails. Is there anything I should know?

Are they bridgesi or canaliculata? One eats live plants, the other does not. I forget which is which. I also forget how to tell them apart. So that is a moot point.

I did quite well with these when I had them. All you need to do is feed them

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p-118814-17996-v-fish-supplies.jpg
^Tetramin bottom feeder tablets

And some kind of veggie tablet like a good spirulina tablet. Not Wardley. Something good. Also the odd treat of shrimp like krill or mysis, and they like bloodworms. Don't feed them meats every day though. Their staple should be the Tetramin and the spirulina tabs. The tetramin has skim milk powder. All that calcium makes for PERFECT apple snail shells. You'll see. :)

BTW How big is this tank? Apples need lots of room. Keep the water significantly below the hood like you would with a paradise fish or a betta. Apples use a snorkel to breathe oxygen from the air.

We have had apple snails in all of our tanks, and watch out. They will breed almost nonstop. In one of our tanks, the apple snails left one egg clutch on our hood (they will put it above the water level) and we had dozens of tiny baby snails all over the tank. We were able to give them away to friends with tanks so that now we are left with three females or three males (we know because they haven't laid any eggs whatsoever in the last 6 months and they used to lay every couple weeks). It's not a big deal, but just be aware if you have a mixture of males and females.

Back
Top Bottom