New SWC 120 skimmer, proflex sump model 2 pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gunk

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got some new stuff today from UPS. My new SWC 120 protein skimmer! I know everyone has one but I was getting concerned about my setup. First of all I had to mod my stand a little to get the sump in there at its as close a fit as your gonna get so not a lot of room for other equipment.
So after I got the sump in I went to install the first skimmer I got which was a coralife 65. Number one problem when I put it in was I'm going to be running about 68 gallons with the sump(I forgot about that when I ordered it). Number two problem was that the coralife setup is just kind of akward to me and you have to mount something for it to drain into(no place for it)and some of the adjustments have to be made under water(1 No room again to twist my arm in that tight space 2 you can't see what you're doing)
So I got the swc 120 today and it seems like it is made for this sump!!! It fits so good and has a smaller footprint and all the controls are very easily accessible. I mean it just fits right in there and I even tried the aqueon 3000 that I have in there for fitment and it fits perfectly right next to it!!!(The aqueon isn't the pump I'm going to use but the size is very similar to the Rio 17HF I have coming).
Also got the Eshopps pf 800 overflow and couldn't be happier with that either!
It only needs 3" clearance to the wall and doesn't take up as much room inside the tank either. I was able to push the tank an easy 2" closer to the wall. It's replacing Aqueon overflow for 125 gallon tanks. This is my first foray into saltwater reef and learning some expensive lessons. Already replaced 3 of the things I originally planned on using and none of them were cheap. Anyway thaks for listening. If I told my wife this I might as well be speaking another language to her as she is not really that interested:)
Here are a couple pics. The last pic are these two things that came with the eshopps overflow but I don't know what they are for if anything and they don't seem to have a place anywhere. The instructions are limited to getting the air out of the u tube so no help there. I'm so excited that things took a turn for the right!! Now I have to get the room I'm putting it in painted first to keep my honey happy! Can't wait! By the way I'm gonna have a coralife 65 super skimmer, aqueon overflow for up tp 125 gallons, and aqueon submersible pump 3000 all for sale all brand new never used with boxes and instructions. Let me know if your interested in anything

Attachments

• P1030867.jpg
    P1030867.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 243
  • P1030875.jpg
    P1030875.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 177
  • P1030876.jpg
    P1030876.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 171
  • P1030866.jpg
    P1030866.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Nice setup. :)

My eshopps 1000 came with those tow pieces too but I couldnt figure it out either. I only ended up using it a few days anyway then I switched to a continous overflow cause I couldnt keep the siphon going! LOL

By the way how do you hook the drain hose onto the eshopps overflow? Threaded pvc with teflon tape?

Please Carey don't tell me that. This is my second one already and I don't even have water in it yet:banghead: What do you run the CPR?

The oveflow you got is a good one, I just couldnt get into the sucking of air outta the j tube and getting salt water in my mouth.

I just attached the hoses with no tape, there werent any threads on mine.

to initially get the air out of the tube, shove a piece of air line tubing in the J tube and then submerge the tube like it's supposed to be (you will have to put some water in the outside compartment of the overflow box). now put your lips on the other end of the air line tubing and suck out the air.

you got yourself a good protein skimmer. the coralife 65 is way underpowered for your tank.

Ok Carey thanks. I'll be ok with a little spitting out a little saltwater. And thanks mr x on the info for getting the air out of tube. Tuesday the guy at my lfs (they specialize in saltwater and reef) is gonna plumb the drain from the box so that it will fit into the drain tube. Can't wait. Thanks again!

I think I figured out what those two round pieces of foam are for. I was reading somewhere that they go right next to where the water spills out of the external part of the box. I think this raises the water level just enough to not get that sucking noise from what I read. I don't have water in mine yet so I can't say for sure but they fit perfectly there and it makes sense(displaces some water). I'll try to post some pics later so you can see what I mean.

I think I figured out what those two round pieces of foam are for. I was reading somewhere that they go right next to where the water spills out of the external part of the box. I think this raises the water level just enough to not get that sucking noise from what I read. I don't have water in mine yet so I can't say for sure but they fit perfectly there and it makes sense(displaces some water). I'll try to post some pics later so you can see what I mean.

I emailed eshopps about the 2 sponges. They said they are for packaging purposes only. So mystery solved.

Closure. lol I actually sold my overflow to a guy and it still had all the boxes and stuff including those two long sponges. He asked me about them and I told him I had no idea lol

I use an eshopps,I didn't bother using the other sponge filter which goes around the pipe in the water outlet part of the box,just a filter sock in the sump,I also covered the inlet box top with some guaze to stop any jumpers(2 clowns got in there) and snails from entering the u tube.As for noise from it ,you will only get noise if the flow isn't strong enough,this also applies to loss of syphon.Mine has ran perfectly for well over a year without any problems.

I use an eshopps,I didn't bother using the other sponge filter which goes around the pipe in the water outlet part of the box,just a filter sock in the sump,I also covered the inlet box top with some guaze to stop any jumpers(2 clowns got in there) and snails from entering the u tube.As for noise from it ,you will only get noise if the flow isn't strong enough,this also applies to loss of syphon.Mine has ran perfectly for well over a year without any problems.

Thanks never thought about covering it with something.

Back
Top Bottom