New Tank -- 40 gal stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bdawg13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hmmmm, i am trying to figure out what i should stock my new 40 gal tank with. i am going with a more natural look with black gravel and maybe live plants.I dont really want a community tank.or a african cichlid tank. i was thinkin about some type of SA cichlid tank ,Any ideas r welcome, i just dont want a community tank or an africican cichlid tank because i already have 1 of each .

Just as a reference point, you can go to www.liveaquaria.com to view the species under freshwater, American & New World Cichlids. You can view the requirements and general info. Then you can go to you LFS, if you choose to, to pick up the fish. I'm planning on getting the Rams, but they are known to be a "community fish." Since you're not looking for a community style fish tank, this might not work for you. However, the Kribs are known to be a little more territorial from what I read but are semi-aggressive so can be kept with other fish provided that you set up areas in the tank. Kribs and Rams are both pretty inexpensive dwarf cichlids (with the exception of the electric blue Ram). On the more pricey side, the Apistogramma agassizii "Fire Red" option is pretty cool IMO.

Back
Top Bottom