New Tank Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppy10

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, im new to this site and to the whole tank thing but I am wanting to get into all this fish stuff. So as a beginner, what do u recomend that I start off with? (tank size, fish kind, etc.) I appreciate ur help :)

Read up on cycling your rank first. That will determine if you really want to do this the right way. My own opinion buy the biggest tank you can afford and have room for. This will give you more options at to what fish you can buy.

As a beginner pretty much everyone will say get a larger tank first off it gives you better water quality and more stocking options. I would recommend at least 20-30 gallon to start 20 long if you can find one. Really your stocking depends on tank size and tank mates. What kind of fish do you like. Also you will need to learn about cycling and wether you want to do fish less or fish in. I recommend fish less it will give you more time to set up your tank so you don't have to come off all the money up front. I would also recommend live plants as they help maintain water quality as well. I suggest you have a look at the members tanks forums to figure out what you really want to do. Any other questions ask away and welcome to AA.

Ya, i was thinking of getting like a 20-30 but right now i have no clue on which type of fish to buy. But as today progresses, i will be doing some research on cycling and just the basics on starting a tank.

Guppy10 said:
Ya, i was thinking of getting like a 20-30 but right now i have no clue on which type of fish to buy. But as today progresses, i will be doing some research on cycling and just the basics on starting a tank.

I also advise getting an API master test kit. This will tell you your water levels and when you could add fish. Wait until your levels say 0ppm ammonia or 0.25. 0ppm nitrite and 0-20ppm nitrate.for fish I would start off with platies and guppies. Then you might be able to have some sort of hardy cory and a school of cherry barb, or a type of danio as far as schooling fish go.

Back
Top Bottom