New Tank After Long Hiatus - Stocking Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riggby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, it appears after 5 years AqAdvisor has met its demise.

I set up a 55g in early February for two carnival fish we won the last weekend of the state fair. Unfortunately they met their demise rather quickly, despite our best efforts. After some deliberation, cycling, and a rather unfortunate (fortunate?) trip to the local lfs - I stumbled upon a tank of oranda. Only three of which were calico and spotted like cows (my favorite animal). I couldn't leave them and they came home with me. I have since also added five 2" clown plecos (will likely thin into a breeding trio once they mature) and five blue mystery snails. I am running two 400gph hobs with their normal cartridges in as well as a 12" bubble bar. I use Seachem Prime and do a 50% WC every two weeks. All test results are from API Liquid Master Test Kit.

Breakdown:

55g
800gph filtration (14x turnover)
3 Calico Oranda (2.5-3")
5 Clown Pleco (2")
5 Blue Mystery Snails (1")

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10

Overall, how am I doing on stocking? I am not looking to add more at this point and am pretty happy with the overall flow until everyone matures and can be reassessed.

Attachments

• moocrew.jpg
    moocrew.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 25
at this moment in time I would say it looks good. A year from now when your stock matures to full size you might be in trouble.

Keep in mind orandas get the largest of the fancy goldfish species and they can be mean (but they are also my favorite). You are fine for now but as kbalaz said watch once they get older.
What is your temperature? Goldfish do well in cooler temperatures.

Keep in mind orandas get the largest of the fancy goldfish species and they can be mean (but they are also my favorite). You are fine for now but as kbalaz said watch once they get older.
What is your temperature? Goldfish do well in cooler temperatures.

I am not using a heater, my temp usually stays around 75F.

Back
Top Bottom