New Tank Algee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 40g tank that has been running about 1 month now. I was expecting to start getting some algee and it's comming fast and furious now. It's a brown color and it's forming on all of the glass. I've put in 6 hermit craps to clean up the scrap food that's in the tank and put in 6 small snails. The algee definatley is too much for the snails. Is there some kind of a star fish or other critter that would love to take care of this for me?

Sounds like a diatom bloom. It occurs a lot in new tanks and the diatoms should burn itself out over time and disappear. keeping up on your water quality will help.

This is probably diatoms which is normal/common in new setups. It will burn itself out as it uses up the excess silicates that cause it. I used hermits and mexican turbo snails in my tank and they cleared it quick. What type of snails did you purchase? Some are better at sand sifting than glass cleaning.

Yea I've got the same problem in my 55 gallon that's been up for a couple weeks now. I was going to post a question about it but I guess it's already been answered! :)

I'm building a refugium to help with any algae and/or nitrate problems. It's pretty cheap (<$50) to build the actual unit, but the overflow box and pump were a little costly.

One nice thing about the diatoms is that my phosphates are now close to 0... too bad it makes my tank all ugly though. :?

JimW

Back
Top Bottom