New tank and cycling??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melhaji

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 64l tank, filter, I set up for a week with no fish, then got 2 orandas and 1 zebra danio, a week later I got 3 more zebra danios and 3 white cloud minnows. one of the minnows died about 12 hours later. My problem is I keep checking the tank for ammonia using API ammonia kit and the levels always read 0.25 also I test for nitrates etc.. using a 6 in 1 test strip and all seems ok except the NO3 reads in the water change bit, and this is where my problem lies, should I do partial water changes as this is a little high and the ammonia or if I keep water changing does this mean my tank isn't cycling?? My two minnow are also starting to swim on their sides but only of a night time. I am feeding them flake food small amounts twice a day, this morning I gave them bloodworms and didn't feed them at all yesterday. I also did a partial water change Friday and then again yesterday. my water seems a bit cloudy as well, I don't want my minnows to die. I have read about not feeding them for 3 days and then giving them shelled pea, but what about the other fish, I am so confused please help!!:confused:

The tank isn't cycled, this is your 1st biggest issue. Your 2nd biggest issue is that your tank is overstocked, and you added too many fish all to quickly, making a bigger bio-load. Since your tank isn't even cycled, the large amount of fish you have in the tank, makes the ammonia and nitrite, nitrate go up quickly and easily. Under my post, there is a link, click that link and you will find a link under it about fish in cycling. I would also suggest returning some of your fish.

Hi and welcome! Unfortunately your tank isn't cycled and you're overstocked for your tank. Goldfish require special care and they are messy and can very large; 20 gal is usually the minimum required for one, and that's just until it starts to grow. I would return or rehome the goldfish if you can. Here's a good article written by one of our other moderators: http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Strips aren't very accurate either, if you can get a good liquid test kit it will help in the long-run. For the APi ammonia kit, are you using both ammonia bottles and in the correct order? I would also shake them a bit first. I highly doubt your ammonia is only .25 given the fish you have in there. I would start with a 50% water change with dechlorinator (whatever you have on-hand is fine for now, but if you can get some Prime it's one of the better ones out there), then maybe do another in a few hours or even tomorrow just to be on the safe side. Water changes won't affect the cycle much and the cycle is secondary to the fish's health at this point. After you do that, here are some other guides that might be of help:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the replies.....I didn't realise it was overstocked the pet store said every thing I had done was fine including the fish I got!!
I have used the bottles correctly and the colour seems to match the 0.25 it did go a little darker on Friday but like I said I did pwc on Friday then again Saturday,
I also don't understand why the minnows swim slightly on their side at night only??

Back
Top Bottom